Thread: Draw Hunts

Can someone give me the info on the SC draw hunts or a link to it. I cant find it under SCDNR, but have been told its there.
    Outrunning boat wakes in chestwaders aint easy...

Probably can't find much on it until the applications go out in Sep./Oct.

They should have more info about that time.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Are these hunts worth applying for????? I've got a buddy that has been twice and didn't do much. Was wondering if it was his luck of the draw or not that good of hunting.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

No not really!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

They can be good or bad. It depends very much on where you get drawn for (which WMA) and then which blind you draw on that WMA and what the weather is on that day and what ducks we have down here.

It is highly dependent on a lot of variables outside of your control. If you get picky with your dates and locations for your draw you likely will get drawn once every three years.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Its just been something I have been meaning to do for a long time. The thing I like more than anything about it is that it will be the only time you will ever get to hunt on some of these places, and as I get older I just like to keep adding to my memory file, and see new places. So I guess you just wait till they put something out about it??
    Outrunning boat wakes in chestwaders aint easy...

you can check with the main DNR office in columbia. they are the ones that know the specifics. but they wont know until after they set the season dates.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

I applied for a draw hunt one year and we went to Santee Delta West. We shot the shit out of the mallards and blacks. We used to do a lot of hunting on Parr and they had a ton of big ducks on the WMA there in those days. Limiting on mallards, blacks, and pins was a given with any weather. Big ducks are getting scarce boys...

Your absolutely right JAB. I remember going with my dad 20+ years ago and filling up his chest waders with greenheads. I'd put 1 in and 2 would fall back out. He doesn't care about going anymore. Says it's not worth getting up to shoot 2 woodies. I told him he was just a lazy old fart.
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

Got drawn for Santee Delta The Cape several years ago. Slow morning in that the field next to us had no hunters in it and the birds would all land in that field being no one was there to keep them moving. The DNR officer forgot to tell us we could move if we wanted to until after the hunt We limited on greenwings, spoonies, and had what I think was a Black cripple-shot and dived on us. The rest of the ducks the other hunters had was mostly Gadwalls and Widgeon with one hen pintail taken. No greenheads. Nice experience though, pretty fields!