Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse sear or sous vide

Default Reverse sear or sous vide

I know I'm nuts for putting something up here with a French term in it but the techniques seem a lot the same. Your are precooking whatever you want, steak if it is a reverse sear, and you basically get the same product.

The sous vide method has more instruments to cook with involved. Well maybe not, you have to slow cook for the reverse sear in something. But the sous vide method allows for the introduction of flavors from the start.

I was introduced to this by a doctor buddy while he was single and did a lot of his own cooking. He's is once again happily married but he still does a lot of the cooking.

Anyway, have any of y'all tried the sous vide method. You can cook an assload of different foods with it.

By the way, "sou vide" is French for "with vacuum." This may be up 2th's alley.

I put the following in here because enough of you have mentioned the reverse sear.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...-time-and-temp
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

The sous vide device is at Target for less than $100 unless you get the blue tooth one.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

No sous vide here but I love to reverse sear a good standing rib roast or tri tip. Costco has had tri tip for awhile and I’ve been doing a bunch of them on the pellet grill. 225 degrees until 125 internal for medium rare. Then sear each side until you get good caramelization. Rest for 20 mins. Hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    No sous vide here but I love to reverse sear a good standing rib roast or tri tip. Costco has had tri tip for awhile and I’ve been doing a bunch of them on the pellet grill. 225 degrees until 125 internal for medium rare. Then sear each side until you get good caramelization. Rest for 20 mins. Hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverse on pellet smoker at 180 to 200 max. Then sear on charcoal

71DC5FD5-D7A4-4B74-ABDD-95C7BD1720BB.jpg

Prime ribeye from ny butcher

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I sous vide my wild turkey breast and deer steaks.

Sous vide is amazing. The thing that I love is that you have a window of time where it is done but not overcooked

Sous vide is just another way of reverse searing, just far more gay.
    Last edited by murraywader; 09-11-2020 at 07:03 PM.

I think on the needy factor sous vide wins, reverse sear follows. I do neither.

The benefit to the sous vide is you are not on the clock. You can take it out in 1 hour or 2 hours and it can still be medium rare.

I cook chicken in the sous vide to make chicken salad. It is a game changer.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Thank You
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Works great on pheasant. For me, it’s hard to cook pheasant without it being dry.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Shut your butt

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Works great on pheasant. For me, it’s hard to cook pheasant without it being dry.
    Precisely ... and it’s easy. What’s more important about the above comments is that HS does neither
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I do my baby backs with sous vide. 12 hours at 165 with a little balsamic vinegar before dry rub and finishing on the smoker. The fat is melted off and they are super tender when done.

It'll also make any deer roast very tender without loss of moisture. You can over do it though and make meat mushy but it takes extra hours to do that.

I've been meaning to try it on squirrels.

Most of the folks that commented on the best steak restaurant have probably had sous vide cooking. Steak houses often have several sous vides running at different temperatures for each amount of doneness. When someone orders, they pop it out of the appropriate tank and sear it. Ever wonder how they can get a 2" thick filet slightly pink evenly all the way through without overcooking the edges? Have you noticed that no matter what steaks at different doneness your table orders they still deliver them to your table all at once?

It isn't basically the same result. One method you can add smoke and other flavors while the other method consists of a bag and water.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Neediness

Sous vide is the Cutco Knives of cooking...

sorcery