Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BroadHelp Help

Superglue one of yours closed and use it for target shooting

I will send you a pm asap

I have two 125gr grim reaper practice heads. I also have a bow press, draw board and all sorts of other stuff to fix the issue correctly. Located near Dreher Island State Park.
    Cables and strings stretch even if the bow hasn't been used, especially if they're old.

If your bow is tuned and you’ve got decent form then any broadhead will shoot true. I’ve shot the old rages a little but enough to say that if those are planing off them you have got bigger problems. Sacrifice one for a few practice shots if needed. Cabelas has them on sale anyway.Strings don’t stretch, they settle or “creep”, oval out on cams from repeated pounding. It’s not uncommon to have to make a half twist here or there to keep a bow in tune, even one not used much. If you shoot much at all you know or feel when the bow is starting to loosen up, arrow ain’t going where the pin is etc. that’s where a fella that knows how to tune his own bow is ahead of the other guy.

And I thought they were like throwing an axe through a deer.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 09-11-2020 at 07:21 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Greg can make a bow look tuned through that damn paper

And I heard him say tuning perceived is tuning achieved.

Walk back tune the bow and you will be close
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

The last 3 post are spot on

I think that perceived part is taking into account the customers form, ditto for walk back tuning.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Or just shoot Slick Tricks.

Slick Tricks don't fly like field points.....field points fly like Slick Tricks.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Or just shoot Slick Tricks.

Slick Tricks don't fly like field points.....field points fly like Slick Tricks.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

This used to be true, not so much these days.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

yep, i bought every pack of slick trick razortricks i could find when they quit making them im about out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I think that perceived part is taking into account the customers form, ditto for walk back tuning.
    I took it as him saying if he can make the arrow shoot a bullet hole with wrist deflection or changing his grip, and he can show the customer, then they normally are satisfied
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Paper tuning is such a carnival side show and complete waste of time. How that hole looks depends on the distance to paper and where the arrow is in recovery from the shot. All arrows flex. Even correctly spined ones and a L/R/U/D tear or "bullet hole" is completely dependent on where the arrow is in that recovery process. Get is "tuned" to center shot and walk back/broadhead tune your bow. Do that and any head will, as they say, "fly like field points" if your arrow is spined correctly.

I don’t have a tremendous experience with lots of bows but I’ve got a bunch with a few bows. They will paper tune at 6’ and at 15’. That sort of blows that argument up. When they do as described the arrows are like darts, shoot any bh well and I hit closer with all shots in all conditions. Just my experience. It may be that with super heavy bhs you are pushing the edge as far as spine and getting more flex than folks shooting “normal” by weights, also color your thinking of paper tuning maybe. What do I know, I just go with what works for me as already stated.

And I walk back tume also. Just find that it usually doesn’t make any difference from paper tuning with my set up.

I don't care what kind of broad head you shoot. At 60 yds, it will NOT fly like a field tip.

Blazer commercial but the high fps slow mo proves my point. All arrows flex. All of em. Even spurs.

I'm sure all arrows flex but if that's an issue how does anyone shoot bullet holes over and over?

At 6’ they are starting to settle down. Sure they flex. Maybe I misread Glenn’s post but it seemed he was saying paper tune was a waste of time and walk back was the only way to prove tune. Some of us get what we need with paper tune, year after year. My thoughts are paper tune, shoot bhs and if they are off then walk back tune and try again. What I’ve done on some bows. Maybe it’s like sighting a rifle at 100yds vs 300 for some. Paper tune is quick and generally speaking, if you get no tears then generally the bow is a shooter. And I ain’t so sure about changing hands hold and torque. I can do that and make my bow tear paper. Anyway, enjoying the conversation and ain’t trying to make this and archery talk rant argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    I'm sure all arrows flex but if that's an issue how does anyone shoot bullet holes over and over?
    By placing the paper at the correct distance so the arrow is at a "straight" position at that distance and point in flight. It's a parlor trick. And a bare shaft flexes even more since there are no fletchings to spin and stabilize the arrow.

ETA; I don't think it's a waste of time, per se, but it isn't "tuned". All you're proving is if the rest, nock point are level and centered. Using it as a sole basis to determine if it's tuned based on "bullet holes" will get you in trouble.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-11-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Well it’s a hell of a good place to start and getting an arrow to leave a bow squarely will resolve 90% of bh issues. Also, if you know your bow, set up to specs, cam lean adjusted, have arrows tuned, etc. then a couple shots through paper will tell you if your quick tune fixed things back to where they are supposed to be should something have changed causing it to need adjustment. Walk back tuning moves the rest and sight to account for a things pushing the arrow off course, whether it is spine flex or anything mentioned above, sort of adjusting just those to account for all inputs. It ain’t truing things up squarely and I don’t adjust nock height, cam lean and timing while walk back tuning.