Thread: Read now damnit! GPS pet trackers everything you need to know

Default Read now damnit! GPS pet trackers everything you need to know

There
    There is no reason to have heartache over a missing dog.I have had one on Gunner since they first came out years ago. Our small dog went missing for days and I watched the heartbreak my wife was going through. Since then, they both have one. Here are some things you may want to know about:

There are several brands on the market. The Whislte brand, which I have, is probably the most popular. Since that is the most popular one and the one I have had I will talk only about it.

The Whistle GPS tracker is a one time purchase, around $90, with a monthly subscription fee for AT&T of around $10. It doesn't matter who your cell phone provider is, the collar uses AT&T, GPS and WiFi to track your pup. Basically it is a square one inch by one inch device which latches onto your dogs collar. The beauty is you don't need a different collar and can change it from one collar to the next anytime.

Once the dog leaves the safe area, an immediate area around your home, the collar updates you about every three minutes. This is the only weak link in the chain, but there is a workaround. Once the collar notifies you via text the dog has left the safe area, I then click on the "track" button which upates about every thirty seconds. This is a much quicker notification and give you an almost immediate update on pups position. You can see on the app, which has google earth, where pup is within about 100 ft + or -.

Catdaddy mentioned in another thread he has a Whistle and I think it is a Whislte 3 model. The newer model is a GO unit and I like it a little better.

I have checked to see how far my Whistle would pinpoint Gunner and it located us almost precisely way the hell down in LA!!

So who needs one? If you own a dog, I don't give a damn how well you THINK you have pup contained, you need a tracker! Shit happens all the time with dogs escaping or being stolen. Why put yourself and family through so much heartbreak when something so affordable is readily available?

Let's talk theft a minute. I have always looked at my collar as a piece of mind should Gunner get stolen. Number one most thieves aren't going to notice the damn thing on the dogs collar until it is too late. By the time the thief is out of your driveway you should have recieved notice of pup being gone giving you time to take immediate action. Also, another great thing about the Whistle is you can see where your dog had been for the last 24 hours!! Chew on the benefits of that a minute.

If anyone has any questions let me know. Most of all get off your ass and get one soon. I've seen way too many FB post with pets going missing and the needless enduring heartbreak.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 12-30-2023 at 04:39 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Good post- I guess it needs cell signal to work- am I correct?

Any reason this couldn’t be used on a piece of farm equipment with a larger (several hundred acres) safe area?

I’ve been using a device called a Spot trace but your pet collar thing sounds like a cheaper solution that’s just as effective

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    Any reason this couldn’t be used on a piece of farm equipment with a larger (several hundred acres) safe area?

I’ve been using a device called a Spot trace but your pet collar thing sounds like a cheaper solution that’s just as effective
    I don’t see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It works best with a cell signal and yes you probably could put it on machinery. I’m not sure if the safe area can be that big because it works off of Wi-Fi
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-09-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post

It could be.,..you set the safe area.

The battery lasts about 3 days within wifi range. Out of wifi range, it lasts about 14 hours.

Once you get notified( email and/or text), you better act fast.

With farm equipment, you could just call law enforcement and direct them with your phone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Good points Cat.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

My timing sucks for sure on bringing this up. But...we now have two dogs missing, with owners going through heartache. Guys in this day and time there is simply NO reason for this! If you don't have one on your pup now get one ASAP. And if you can't afford one let me know I will buy it for you. They are extremely cheap given what you have invested. Order one tonight!!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Good post- I guess it needs cell signal to work- am I correct?
    All I know about these devices is what I've read in this thread. What I do know is GPS/cellular/anything RF/RxTx Comms.

GPS is receive only. So I assume that the device communicates back to the app via Wi-Fi while in range of it at the house. If Wi-Fi isn't available, it defaults to cell signal for comms.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

You need cell service to see it updated on your phone.
    The newer models do not cut on and drain the battery unless you are out of wifi range. You can manually cut them on.

For the person that lost his Chesapeake this am. This is what it would have looked like on your phone.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I have the FI series 3 for my two dogs. It works well and sounds very similar to the Whistle.
    "It's like dejavu all over again"
    "90% of the game is half mental" Yogi Berra

How often do you have to charge the whistle?

Every 4 days. If your dog stays in range of WiFi, the battery will last a lot longer.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-30-2023 at 06:51 PM.

Around 10 days or so for us, it’s really a pretty handy and simple device

Anybody needs a Whistle let me know, have a brand new one I did not need.

Just listed it in Trading Post

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Around 10 days or so for us, it’s really a pretty handy and simple device
    Probably about same. My dog stays in range for most part and even when I take him to my office it works off my office wi fi

Also keeps up with dogs activity , makes me take time to walk him (MYSELF more than anything ) when I see days he has not had much activity

On another note...

I use a Tile.

Works just fine on 5 acres with a mesh WiFi network.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk