Thread: Wood Burning Stove - Teach Me Please

Default Wood Burning Stove - Teach Me Please

A couple of years ago - was able to pick up an old farm house adjacent to our property.

At this point I need to figure out the best way to heat it - will typically only use the place in the cold months and will have a couple of window units to cool it.

There is an old wood stove that is in the place now with a pipe going into an existing chimney. The biggest fear i have with the place is that it is a glorified tinderbox and don't like the idea of it catching on fire while my kids and I are there. Plan to take that stove out as it is a coal burning stove and don't want to have to mess with coal - and furthermore don't know what may or may not be wrong with the thing. Will get a new stove from a box store to replace it.

First time with this - anything that I need to be aware of with the stove? There are seemingly 100's of different options on line and whereas most are the same premise ---- it's a fire in a box with a pipe coming out of it - would prefer to not find out something the hard way unknowingly.

Thanks in advance for any education.
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 09-10-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Vermont Castings

I'd buy used, Buck preferably, they are steel, not much can go wrong with them. I see them for sale cheap on classified sites. Get one with a blower.
    Low country redneck who moved north

And get a sweep to inspect that chimney and firebox, and give it a thorough cleaning. It will give you some comfort, and isn't going to break you.

that house got haints
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

anyone know any chimney sweeps in the Greenville area?

Was original home heated with wood or coal? Coal chimneys can’t handle wood heat.

Get it inspected.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Get the chimney inspected and cleaned. Then find an old buck stove someone is getting rid of with a blower on it. The chimney sweep can also install a pipe sleeve to line it with to give you peace of mind. Crank it up and you'll be warm as a tick. Use to heat a house I had in Simpsonville with one, it'd run you out if you got it stoked just right.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Keep a cast iron teapot on it full of water. Keeps some humidity in the air. Get several smoke detectors. Something to keep the flaming logs contained when they roll out.
    Low country redneck who moved north

if it's real hot don't touch it. Keep chimney clean (you'll see this one lots) . Only heat I had for about 50 years was wood stoves.Cut and seasoned my wood as well. Only burn well seasoned dry wood. Keep chimney clean btw. (see?) Latest stove is a Pacific Energy hi efificient air tight 12 hour burn model that works fairly well. I used to have a top load downdraft stove that would still be hot after 14 hrs and it burned much cleaner because of it's leaky ways, much less creosote too. Creosote is a function of incomplete combustion.Used to clean the chimney a couple times a season with the air tight , once a year with the other. If you've never had a chimney fire , don't.Just keep the chimney in good repair and clean. For my money I'd go insulated chimney all the way. My Grandad used to say there was only so much heat in a piece of wood and you ain't going to get it if it's smoldering. He was also not a fan of dampers between the stove and chimney. Let it out , control what goes in. Burn away.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.