Thread: Grass Carp - looking to buy a couple for a Greenville 2 acre pond

Default Grass Carp - looking to buy a couple for a Greenville 2 acre pond

Help. We had 2 in our pond, but they must have passed on - grass growing again,

go ahead and buy 4 this go 'round

we used southland fisheries 803 776 4923
    call them. they can hook you up or get you someone closer.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

A dozen would be a better choice.

I'll be the dissenting voice. I put 10 in a 5 acre pond and it was too many. There aren't ANY weeds left. A healthy pond has some weeds.

The desirable fish will be fine if it gets too weedy but they can get depleted in a hurry with no cover. All it takes is a few cormorants or an otter or two to put a big dent in the population if the fish have no place to hide. With no weeds, there also isn't any place for minnows, aquatic critters and bugs to hide and the food source of your fish can get depleted quickly.

Put a few (can’t remember how many - I want to say 6-8) in my 2 acre pond 5-6 years ago. Best thing I ever did and the finishing hasn’t missed a beat. No more algae, pond scum or lures with clumps of crap on them

In the early days we also dyed the water dark blue for a couple months to choke out the sunlight to get things started. I’m sure that helped

Carp don't eat algae or pond scum. They only eat rooted plants.

Buying 8 at $12 a piece from Southland. They recommended 8-12 an acre. Truck comes all over the upstate on schedule each month, Thanks, to all

The acreage of a pond doesn't tell the whole story. My 5 acre pond has a lot of very deep water where weeds don't grow. Your 2 acre pond might have a similar amount of weeds.

If the carp begin to over graze, you can always catch some of them and move them or shoot them.