Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't see this everyday

Default Don't see this everyday

I am old enough to have seen some of this action many years ago and it was outdated then. Glad to see it still going on to be honest...

Driver stopped for speeding was running load of moonshine in gallon jugs, NC cops say
    BY MARK PRICE

SEPTEMBER 09, 2020 08:10 AM , UPDATED 1 HOUR 32 MINUTES AGO

N.C. State Trooper C. Oxendine stopped a vehicle in Cumberland County for speeding and found 20 gallons of suspected moonshine, state officials said. NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL PHOTO

A Raleigh video about what motorists should expect when stopped says you should answer all questions from an officer. But the state's driver's license handbook points out you are not legally required to answer questions after identifying yourself. BY RALEIGH POLICE DEPARTMENT

North Carolina is legendary for home brewed liquor — known as moonshine — and the N.C. State Highway Patrol says it found proof the illicit industry is still going strong during a traffic stop.

A motorist pulled over for allegedly speeding in Cumberland County, about 70 miles south of Raleigh, was hauling 20 gallons of “suspected moonshine,” according to a release. Authorities say a gun was also found in the car.

The department posted a photo of the load on Facebook, showing it was being transported in gallon plastic jugs, a modern innovation when compared to the rustic clay jugs of yore.

The N.C. Alcohol Law Enforcement division confiscated the alleged booze and is investigating, the highway patrol said. The name of the suspect and charges were not released. Investigators did not release a specific location for the traffic stop.

Traditional homemade moonshine is known for being inferior to liquor manufactured by federal standards, but it compensates by being more potent. It is also occasionally toxic, due to short cuts taken by the creators.

News of the case in Cumberland County generated nearly 500 comments on social media in the past day, including references to NASCAR’s roots running bootleg, and the possibility the driver could claim the alleged moonshine was legal ethanol.

Others joked about the risky use of cheap plastic and a few mentioned this year’s highway patrol Christmas party.

“I’ve poured some good stuff in a plastic cup before. It wasn’t long before it went through the bottom,” Chris Mayo wrote on the department’s Facebook page.

“That wasn’t moonshine. It’s hand sanitizer,” Pamela Lawson posted.

Running shine and speeding.

Nice, I remember back in the early 80's I err a friend was buying it for 10 buck a gallon, splitting it into quart mason jars and selling it for 10 bucks a quart. made a pile of money back then, came in the same white milk jugs

The haul cars used to be a whole lot cooler I can tell you that...

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

quite a few bootleggers in my family tree..... sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

wonder what he did to have his car searched?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

Driver stopped for speeding was running load of moonshine in gallon jugs, NC cops say
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post

quite a few bootleggers in my family tree..... sigh

wonder what he did to have his car searched?
    Story checks out...

My grandfather was a moonshiner

I had always heard the rumor but never knew it to be true until a few years ago. It was a Sunday in October and homecoming at the church. My dad, myself, and 1st cousin had finished eating and were talking deer hunting at the table. My dad mentioned something about a food plot behind the “fell-in” barn. My cousin said we didn’t have a fell-in barn at the farm to which dad replied, “ you know, the one by the road” and Justin said “ oh you mean the one PawPaw kept the still in?” and Dad said “yea, that one”

all my life I had assumed the barn had just collapsed on itself due to age and never knew any different. I hard heard rumor PawPaw made shine but he had been dead for a number of years and so just assumed sooner or later I’d probably find the remnants of the still somewhere down in the woods. But that afternoon I got the real story. He made his moonshine in a barn that sets about 20’ off the side of our dirt road. Im not sure how big of an operation he had but he got caught making it. Law enforcement at the time made him hook a chain to the posts of the barn and pull it down on top of the still.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Law enforcement at the time made him hook a chain to the posts of the barn and pull it down on top of the still.
    Much like the narcotics trade today "You gotta pay to play". There is no room for the independent streak that so many people that choose those paths have...

Interesting topic, some really great old stories come to mind. Relative was US Marshall and could tell some great ones. One in his group could mimic a dog growl/bark perfectly. They set him up within earshot of still, when the bootleggers started to run they shouted turn loose old Fang. The sound was so convincing they caught several that climbed a tree or got elevated. True story. Clarendon/Williamsburg county.

My great granddaddy told a good story about being tipped off that revenuers were onto him. He stayed away, and after a couple weeks he heard an explosion. He eventually returned to find a scattered mess, complete with potted meat cans and and empty drink bottles from the stakeout. They had camped for weeks waiting on him, but never got caught. He stuck to the dairy business after that close call.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

whats in that 20'th jug?

19 jugs of white lightning and one jug of pee?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Co-worker I worked with at my old job, his family is still making shine to this day. He gave me a gallon of it when I left for the new job and it was the best I've had.

He is in Anson County which isn't too terribly far from Cumberland County. Might have to give him a shout and check to make sure it wasn't him or his dad.
    Last edited by SCmudder7071; 09-09-2020 at 11:21 AM.

its just hand sanitizer. nothing to see here...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That last jug might be "apple pie" (flavored moonshine), which would blow a big hole in his story that it's hand sanitizer.

I know a guy that makes a little bit and ages it in burnt oak barrels. It's some of the best bourbon I have tasted, nothing like raw moonshine.

A member on here sold it for $25 a quart for the flavored varieties in Clemson for a spell. He got too "well known" for it and shut his operation down before it got shut down for him.

I don't think this is the full article on Hell Hole Swamp moonshine during prohibition that was posted on here years back, but it's a good read.

https://charlestonmag.com/features/m...jI36vT7fYb2NkY

I know a guy who gets the used mash and puts it out for the deer. They love it.

When my Grandad was runnin rum he made sure his vehicle was faster than the ones the police was using.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Much like the narcotics trade today "You gotta pay to play". There is no room for the independent streak that so many people that choose those paths have...
    Ever seen the movie Lawless ?

It talked about this very thing
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

My grandfather lived in Sharps Chapel TN. He did a lot of jail time before he passed over running moonshine.