Thread: boat trailer leaf spring question

Default boat trailer leaf spring question

I need some advice on leaf spring situation. Long story short, i broke a leaf spring on my dual axle boat trailer and need to replace asap before i pull anywhere else. i obviously need 4 leaf springs to replace all the way around BUT i can only find 2 -1,000 lb and 2 - 1500 lb. all are 3 leafs. is it bad for wear and tear if i put the 1500 pound leafs on one of the axles and the 1,000 pound set on the other axle? Would like to replace all 4 while I have boat off and take the time to do it, but cannot find 4 of a kind. any advice appreciated.

Go torsion when you replace

How far are you towing?

Where are you located?

i am in beaufort, sc. I mainly tow in state. from the coast in to the lakes. i had planned to replace with torsion axles this winter but clearly didn't make it that long. trying to get back going by the weekend with new leafs - had to leave the trailer at the lake instead of pulling home this weekend. thought that new leaf springs might get me by for at least the length of time I plan to have the boat for before upgrading when things get back to somewhat normal

How bad are the others? Can you get by with just replacing one for the time being?

Beaufort Boat & Dock Supply doesn’t have them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

between butler grayco and beaufort dock nobody has a full set of 4. the others need replacing too. but might have to do 2 to get me back rolling and just plan on the other 2 in near future. dont think a set of the 1500 pound and a set of the 1,000 pounds will balance the trailer as well as all 1500 or all 1000.

Have you checked Wesco in columbia?

I've used boattrailerparts.com with good success in the past.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

check Tractor Supply in Burton.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Have Charleston Trailer drop some in the mail to you? odd you can't put four together from all those places.

Following this thread
    I need to buy 4 also for a trailer rebuild I plan on doing this winter.
    I have never bought a leaf spring nor replaced one, I have 4 (tandem axle) that are rusty, crumbling pieces of crap.
    Plan is to take two floor jacks and support trailer and take the grinder and whack them off
    I wasn't sure how I know which springs to buy, they appear to be 4 leafs (three large and a smaller flat piece on bottom?)
    Is it by weight capacity or length of the two end holes needed?

need to measure from middle of one eye to the next. and also know what weight axles you have to know what leaf springs to look for.

I think i finally pieced together a set of 4 with all the same weights. i appreciate the help from scduckers. need to find local as opposed to ordering in hopes to be back in business and tow it home this weekend.

I recently went through the same process. A long ways from you, but Agri-supply in Florence had the biggest selection of leaf springs I could find. I'm not sure regarding shipping, as I was close to enough to drive and pick-up.

thanks for the feedback guys. i was able to piece together a set of 4. got all of them cut off and replaced this weekend. good as new.