Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broad River Waterfowl Management Area

Default Broad River Waterfowl Management Area

Cliff notes: Corn looks better than it has in the 5ish years I've been going out to look at the fields. The rice does not look as good as last year. The wet area in the north east field did not have as much smartweed as years past. Sorghum looks good, I've never seen it planted to this extent since I've been going out there.

The lines drawn on the map are a good representation yet still approximate. (attached PDF, hopefully it loads correctly)

Pics from last year are located in this thread: https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...pdated-reports

Corn field: Very minor deer damage, all I saw were a few stalks that were eaten down in the earlier stages of growth. The pictured cob was less than 10ft into the field, all other cobs looked full as well. This is a big difference between last year where hardly any stalks made cobs and when they did they were very small. This field had carp jumping in it in the first week of May, so a good job to get it to where it is now. Lots of sicklepod, and in the plowed areas around the field that's all I could see coming up even though it appeared to have been planted with something recently.

Sorghum field: Last year this was corn and rice. The corn was absolutely consumed by weeds and might as well have not been planted. Maybe this was a crop rotation to help with weeds or just planted for variety. Either way, looks good with most all plants having full seed heads.

Rice: Not that great. Seems like different areas were planted at different times, some had matured and some had not.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Last edited by dbenn454; 09-08-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Looks so like somebody did a good job to me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update!!! Looks much better than previous years!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I second that emotion. Only sweat now would be worms, looks like the table is set for the ducks.

Is it worth burning up your points?

based on the september crop report when anyone in this area has the "best crop of corn ever?"

that's certainly up to you....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    based on the september crop report when anyone in this area has the "best crop of corn ever?"

that's certainly up to you....
    That would have hurt my feelings but I read all the online reviews about you. They said you're an ass and it took most of the sting out preemptively.

Corn that looks like hammered shit in September will be hammered shit in November. This corn does not and therefore has a chance come November. The thread was simply to show that progress has been made. Maybe by Stick9's efforts or simply a change in management or give a damn by the worker.

Take a hike down Strother Rd and give me your perspective. I'm very interested in the perspective of others.

He’s a cranky old dentist who gives a damn what he thinks. I’ll give more credence to the shit CNN spews than the crap he says.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-08-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Very informative update. Thanks OP
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Great Post. Thank you for taking the time.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post
    That would have hurt my feelings but I read all the online reviews about you. They said you're an ass and it took most of the sting out preemptively.

Corn that looks like hammered shit in September will be hammered shit in November. This corn does not and therefore has a chance come November. The thread was simply to show that progress has been made. Maybe by Stick9's efforts or simply a change in management or give a damn by the worker.

Take a hike down Strother Rd and give me your perspective. I'm very interested in the perspective of others.
    Tooth has online reviews?
    LMAO....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    LMAO....
    That’s powerful information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Q22, shoot me a text if you have my digits.. I've got new phone and I lost yours, thought I had it

pms are kinda slow and I'm more impatient then 2th
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-08-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    LMAO....
    If he does that's what it would say. I just know he's a huge proponent of online reviews and I'm trying to return an iota of what he gives out daily.

2th has moxie
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-08-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: stupid ass phone

If he does that's what it would say. I just know he's a huge proponent of online reviews and I'm trying to return an iota of what he gives out daily.
    You couldn't touch it with a 25 and a half foot pole...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    Is it worth burning up your points?

I love being misunderstood.

I appreciate your post. I am glad you care enough to take pics and draw a cool map.
    My response was to cat III who asked about "burning his points" to hunt there. My reply was timely and correct. This has been a good year to grow corn. Ergo, good corn in the Broad River WMA is expected. The impoundments in the area also have good corn. So, its hard to tell cat III to "burn his points" to hunt there. That would be his decision and his alone.

Watch out for thinking i'm an ass BEFORE you read my post. It might help your comprehension better.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.