Thread: Compact Tractors

Default Compact Tractors

School me. Looking for a small tractor with front end loader for new homesite to haul some dirt, scrape driveway, bush hog pastures, plant some areas, moves some cut down trees, maybe a finish cutter (mainly just ride my 3 year old daughter around on). What should I be a looking for in a tractor?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

HP
    Low country redneck who moved north

I was in the same boat last year.

I ended up with a John Deere 3038E. It’s a great little tractor. It will struggle on pulling a heavy disc or bottom plows due to it being hydrostatic but I have acess to a 5055 for anything heavy. The 3038E is able to get into areas where the 5055 can’t. I pull a 6’ med duty disc behind it in low gear and it does fine. I also installed Pats Quick hitch for everything at the house. It makes changing implements a breeze.

How many acres?

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    School me. Looking for a small tractor with front end loader for new homesite to haul some dirt, scrape driveway, bush hog pastures, plant some areas, moves some cut down trees, maybe a finish cutter (mainly just ride my 3 year old daughter around on). What should I be a looking for in a tractor?
    This is what I use my tractor for and I settled on a 40hp hydrostatic new holland with 4n1 bucket, added hydraulic side link to adjust angle of blade from seat and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
    Gear tractor has its place but with what you are doing with one especially scraping driveway and using front end loader I think you would like the hydrostatic better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    How many acres?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Kubota 3901
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    This is what I use my tractor for and I settled on a 40hp hydrostatic new holland with 4n1 bucket, added hydraulic side link to adjust angle of blade from seat and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
    Gear tractor has its place but with what you are doing with one especially scraping driveway and using front end loader I think you would like the hydrostatic better.
    This for 12 acres and what you described. ......45-50 hp for more acreage.

Don't go smaller than 40 hp,.....IMHO.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-06-2020 at 05:57 PM.

I’ve only owned one tractor so take my advice for what it’s worth

Mine is a Kubota MX5800 (4wd, HST). It’s done everything I’ve asked of it. Plowing fire breaks, Bush hogging, disking, pulling a real heavy no till. I’ve never wished I had a smaller tractor. All 6’ implements

Been reliable too.

Weight will be your friend in these small compact tractors.

There was a $4K difference between the 3038E and 3040E. Weight was the same.

Get a kubota L Series whatever fits the budget.

Kubotas still come with dental dams?

Only non selling point for me with Kubota was the hydrostatic pivot pedal.
    Just make sure it fits you if you choose to go hydro Kubota.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Kubotas still come with dental dams?
    Lol

Don't get anything under 55 hp. In fact any tractor less than 55 is silly

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Lol

Don't get anything under 55 hp. In fact any tractor less than 55 is silly
    For what yall doing YES
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I am running a 24 horse compact New Holland. It has a loader and is 18 horse at the PTO. With that tractor, I run a four foot bush hog , a six foot finishing mower, four foot filler, and an auger. It does all these things well. However, I wish it had more “oomph” when trying to move dirt from the pile. It struggles some when trying to grab a full bucket load of dirt.

And it is a 4wd...

[QUOTE=everlast;2786231]School me. Looking for a small tractor with front end loader for new homesite to haul some dirt, scrape driveway, bush hog pastures, plant some areas, moves some cut down trees, maybe a finish cutter (mainly just ride my 3 year old daughter around on). What should I be a looking for in a tractor?[/QUOTE

I went from a finish mower to a zero turn. It was a big improvement. With a finish mower you tend to look back more than you realize. You'll hit something that front bucket if not careful. Whatever you do, be extra careful riding your child around. Definitely no mowing or anything with her.
    Last edited by Cooney; 09-07-2020 at 07:12 AM.