Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long odds!

Had a gut feeling I should go after the old toad this am! Lord, I love this place! Good morning all; wishing you winter weather soon too!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Good luck to you! Keep us updated and send some of that cold air down this way.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Wow...That Bull...I mean...good gracious...

96 degrees to snow in 2 days. And people talk about SC weather.

Good luck
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

The one thing you can usually count on in Wyoming is a consistent wind to cover noise and blow away scent. Not today! Wind from S at 2 so set up on marginal wind hoping deer to my NE would think they were safe and travel to my E just out of scent cone... and it’s shifting from S to SW...but Im stYing put. In an olive grove that has more deer shit in it than the cow pasture has cow patty’s. Hoping smoking my clothes will buy me enough cover to get lucky. Had a whitetail doe and two yearlings come by at 25 on the snow sit. Cows came over and were fascinated by me...I had to shoo them off and leave. On the way out, I see two mulie does, 3x3, forky, and spike standing in front of single wide rancher is using as a barn. Snuck around on them and had 12 yard shot at the 3x3. Decided I enjoyed deer hunting too much to end 2020 on a dink. Have some regret about that now...want meat and to christen “Umal Mugambi.” No legal deer gets a pass from here out...will be flinging. Also decided to hunt deer while I can and kill the goat buck with a lead arrow on opening day of gun. Here are pics from the backside olive grove.
    ;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-09-2020 at 05:34 PM.

I see a bloody arrow in your near future.
    Can't wait for the hero pics.

0330 and no chance of sleeping tonight. About two seconds after that last post, whitetail doe and yearlings blew. From that point for the next hour or more, I had whitetail does walk by me, bust me, circle me, stomp, run etc. I was about to leave thinking I was blowing the spot when I saw legs thru under the olives that were not stomping and the deer was not blowing. I'll give the entire play by play tomorrow night, but it was a buck. I ended up crawling to a better spot based on where I thought he was headed. It was the right move. A very good shot turned very bad when he ducked and wheeled faster than any deer I've ever seen react to anything...he turned inside out. He was walking from my left to right, and best I can tell, he ducked and wheeled so fast away from me that his head actually was pointed back the direction he came from and my arrow sailed over his chest...which was on the ground...and my broadhead cracked him somewhere in the left side of his head. He ran about twenty yards eratic and shaking his head with the fletching above and to the left of his head. The shot looked perfect 10 feet off the bow, and I have no clue how he did what he did as fast as he did it. I'm sick. I saw him stop about thirty yards from where I shot him, and I took my eyes off him to grab a follow up arrow, as I figured he was hurt bad if he wasn't still running. I looked back, and he was gone. Have 50 yards of good blood, but backed out due to lack of light and not wanting to push him. Prayers for a dead deer or a non fatal hit he can recover from are much appreciated, I'll be happy with either, but he was a grown buck and would be my biggest by far, so I hope by some miracle that he's down from a brain bleed or something...don't have a good feeling about it though and sick about the possibilities I don't want to mention. Again, prayers appreciated. Will get on the blood trail tomorrow around noon after work and will update tomorrow night,

I hope this story ends with fresh backstraps on the grill tonight.
    Good luck.

Me too, but based on past history and last years turkey season, I’m not betting on it....
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Wow, prayers sent. Hope you recover the buck.

Good luck on the recovery
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Should have aimed for his rear ham
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Well dang. That’s bow hunting. Keep at it.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Should have aimed for his rear ham
    I thinks you are being a smart-azz, but I’m kicking myself for not staying committed to that. Only way I could draw with no possibility of him seeing me would have left me with that shot...and I’d have missed or he’d be dead...watch some “slo-mo-deer-ducking-string” videos and put your mouse center ham when they have a mark center chest...chest drops a foot...ham drops 2-inches. Just never envisioned a deer getting his head in the way by ducking and wheeling around. And as for turkey season...unusual...I’m beginning to think 2020 is cursed.

Nope...ain’t going to think that way yet...turkey season was a cursed cluster, but Im going to stay positive about this deer till I find him or see him doing well. God, answered prayers, so He will answer this one...now I gotta pray that His answer is the answer I want! In the longest hernia repair of my career...wouldn’t you know it. ThoughtId be trailing blood by now...now Im just hopingI get on it before 3pm. Killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Nope...ain’t going to think that way yet...turkey season was a cursed cluster, but Im going to stay positive about this deer till I find him or see him doing well. God, answered prayers, so He will answer this one...now I gotta pray that His answer is the answer I want! In the longest hernia repair of my career...wouldn’t you know it. ThoughtId be trailing blood by now...now Im just hopingI get on it before 3pm. Killing me!
    Good to know you're focused on the task at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Good to know you're focused on the task at hand...
    haha he could prolly do that with his eyes closed by now I'm sure!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

They usually turn up dead when they get shanked in the noggin. One personally and I will say it made one hell of a sound. Hope you find your deer.
    Last edited by coonsqualler01; 09-10-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Large uncoordinated meat fingers

Went out after work. Where the deer first stopped and left a pretty good pool of blood yesterday, I could barely see it today. Heavy frost screwed me bad. I couldn’t find blood any further than last blood yesterday, so I griddled the area...easy to do, because it was fairly open. Went to a pond I saw on OnX, and it was so freaking big deer-ish I got chills. You’d never guess from satellite pics, but it’s a hidden little spring fed pond with tall grass, cattails, olive trees forming tunnels thru it all...jumped a doe out of it and watched her blast through cat-tails In chest deep water...it was beautiful...but no dead buck. Kept exploring where I’d go if I were a deer...led me along a grown up fence line to another marshy big-buck heaven. Along the trail were a couple of fresh rubs the size of my calves. Then another trail to another marshy buck magnet. Between each were grassy ridges and below each, the tall grassy hillside was dotted with cottonwoods and olive trees. Got excited when a crow busted off a carcass...but it was a button buck that appeared to have been hit by a car and made it up in there to die. When I emerged from the thick stuff back up to the edge of a big cow pasture, I glasses over and realized I could see where I hung a limb on another fence where I lost blood. From where I stood, it occurred to me that the deer I shot certainly lived in that buck-nest, so I walked to that spot where I lost blood, looked down, and there was a spot of blood in the pasture...he jumped a fence that was nearly 6 feet high...and I knew right then that I didn’t hurt him too bad. I spent the next 3 hours on my hands and knees with some magnifier glasses I have for knapping and dropping tissue at every blood spot I found. Just before dark, I was finding pin head sized drops vs the teaspoon sized clumps/smears I started with, but I was hoping I could follow it to where he left the pasture...maybe he’d be there...at dark, I looked back at my tissue trail and it was a whopping 75-80 yards long and it was curving away from where I thought he would go in a slow right curve. I figure I probably screwed his left eye vision and he’s walking right where he can see...or maybe he’s trying to stray away from the strange pink and white thing floating to his left that he can’t get away from. IDK. His tracks show he was walking. I’m going back tomorrow to see if I can follow blood to where he leaves the pasture in good sunlight, but I know I’m not finding him...he’s good for now...just hope I didn’t mess up his ability to eat and drink. Going to put camera back there to see if he returns and to see what other deer are there. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.