Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long odds!

Default Long odds!

Sitting in a ditch watching a group of speed goats at 280-380 with a yote stalking them to make things really interesting. Only spotI think I might have a chance at them...if they cooperate...with my self bow. This is just a hair shy of futile, but it beats being at the house! ;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-06-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

After not much time hunting these psycho-creatures, I’ve learned the first of “the rules of the pronghorn antelope hunt.”
    1. Pronghorns don’t ever get in a hurry to do something you want them to do; when they do get in a hurry, it’s almost always to do something you don’t want them to do.

Pulling for you. To be honest, there are times bow hunting that I feel like I'd be just as well off with a rock and a slingshot. Good luck and post a pic every now and then.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Best of luck. I leave in a couple days to go chase those things for a while, or course my bow is alittle more high tech than yours. Killing one with a self bow is definitely an accomplishment.

I love it...Keep us posted.

Killing a pronghorn with a bow without the aid of a ground blind and a water hole requires about 100 variables to line up perfectly.

99 of those you can’t control and 65 of those 99 are “luck.”

I wish you luck and hope you don’t need the meat to survive. If so, Rest In Peace.

You need you a wolf hide ghillie suit. Leave the ditches for the snitches.

8E429F81-551F-4A83-BA8D-DAF422A4D7AB.jpeg

Would it be cheating if you dug a pit, stuck the arrows in the ground like pungi sticks, and covered up the hole with branches and leaves? I believe that this method would increase your chances by at least triple, bringing your percentage of success up to about 4.

That is a helluva lot better than my chances at one today though...

I hear they taste like sage
    Low country redneck who moved north

They are freaking delicious! Sage is just fine with me, but they aren’t too sagey at all. Like my taxidermist bud out here said, they are far better than any of the bitter-acorn eating wood-goats we grew up on...and they are.

Glen hit all the nails squarely on their heads.

I’m amazed at how a critter can stand out in the blazing hot sun all dang day on 100+ degree days in a fur coat substantial enough to get them through the harshest winters these plains can throw at them while only getting water through the twigs and alfalfa they eat and from an occasional freaking puddle they may happen across! 7th grade biology would suggest they have giant ears and/or a hump on their backs...but no, they look like a cool colored deer with a coat twice as thick and heavy. These goats have shade available by this pond behind me, and I’ve only seen them walk past this corner and maybe get a quick drink from a tiny, nasty, mud hole caused by the pivot. Water is off now, so maybe they will want to come get a sip out of this pond. All I know is I’m lying partially shaded below ground level in high tech summer camo drinking Gatorade, and I’m not sure I’m going to make it out of this ditch before I have a heat stroke! WTH is up with these things!?!

Check that...pants are fall camo, shirt is summer...but still! I’m fuggin roasting!
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.

You posted from the ditch? That's kinda gangsta in and of itself. Props, homie.

They coming...led by small doe and the other 12 does...buck way back. If this works out...I’m going to be covered up in does before buck gets here. Got a good wind, so gotta decide whether or not to shoot the lead little doe if she gives me a good shot, or lay Down and wait for the buck...and try to shoot him with a pile of eyes all around me. Come on baby!

Looking forward to see how this works out. Good luck.
    Last edited by whitty; 09-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.

I’d shoot anything that got in range with a self bow. I built a few, got lucky and killed a couple of animals with them and hung them up. I figured I had used up every bit of luck I had at the time. Good luck on a worthy adventure!

Well, the goats worked back and forth and I finally had them move to 185-200 yards and to my south...just a matter of time before they got to me...and I got called into the hospital. Fortunately, my pastor and hunting bud lives 2 miles from there, and he drove up and ran them off so I could get out without blowing my hide. Went in and helped get a piece of steak unstuck from a girls esophagus. When I got back, the goats were where they started...smack in middle of field, so I drove out to my dove spot (feedlot that I’ll put up against anything in Argentina) banged out a 26 minute limit of mourning doves, went home to get my son, and returned to shoot another limit of doves. Doves will be in Texas tomorrow because they are now calling for 5-12” of snow tonight and tomorrow. After bellyaching about sitting in a ditch for 8 hours and getting sooo close...my pastor shared this with me...

His sister has been watching this beast for 3 years...call him “the bent 6”
    His dad has this bull at 30 yards early in the am...the guy that set up behind him to call let out a cow call to stop him for the shot, but didn’t realize the hunter had a juniper between him and the elks body. Elk stopped and got wise and trotted off. His dad sat and watched him bed with his 15 cows at 300 yards and didn’t get a shot that day. That story is still unfolding, so I’ll update if he gets an arrow in him. Absolute beast!

When I make my next post tomorrow...just remember that this thread started with me roasting In a ditch on a 96 degree day.

Wow
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

That bull is massive.

I wouldn't be able to sleep if I was chasing that thing
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Beast is an understatement!! I can only hope to see one close to that size next month in NM.