Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long odds!

Wow- you are getting after them. Hope that buck comes back to you dead or alive.

Any luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Nope. Rained today. I’ve been threatening to get a miniature wire haired dachshund...either trained or one I will train for blood-trailing. Wife’s been against it...about to overrule that. I don’t think he’s hurt too bad, and unless I’ve ruined his ability to eat, he will live. Going to keep checking for buzzards for the next 3 weeks or so, but I think he will be good.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Don’t think he’s hurt too bad??

I would say this is almost exactly like I imagined it would
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I walked 8 miles yesterday according to OnX in every thick piece of cover surrounding that pasture, and he’s not dead in there. I say I don’t think he’s hurt too bad...bad choice of words...I’m sure it hurt like hell, but it was solid “crack” that stopped arrow cold. If I had hit Jaw or forward, I don’t think it wouldn’t have sounded like that and and there woulda been penetration and blood spray out of nose/mouth with every breath. Blood was dripping down on left side of where deer was walking...I could see his tracks in the pasture from where ground was soft from snow, and blood was dripping straight down and always just to the left of his tracks. He jumped a pretty high fence and traveled at least 1000 yards across that pasture. It sucks, but I’m pretty confident he will survive and be one of those deer that folks get a call from the taxidermist saying...”come check this out” if he’s ever killed. Moving my camera back to where all the bucks are hitting a scrape line around the backside of the pasture and I hope that’ll confirm how he’s doing.

I hit one like that years ago, loud wack, never found arrow, deer, nor blood. Hopefully he won't be one of those on the channel 7 news, homeowner picture with the arrow stuck in his noggin.
    Last edited by mudflat; 09-15-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    I would say this is almost exactly like I imagined it would
    Be careful! String jumping/ducking karma is a motha-fugga!

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I hit one like that years ago, loud wack, never found arrow, deer, nor blood. Hopefully he won't be one of those on the channel 7 news, homeowner picture with the arrow stuck in his noggin.
    I went and talked to adjacent landowners and let them know the shot was headed for heat lungs from 22 yards and shot was horrible result of deer turning inside out at the drop of the string and was not a result of some jackass thinking a head shot to save meat was a good idea. They are all cool and I doubt they ever pay attention to the deer other than to curse the crop damage. I will try to hunt on days with enough wind to mask the sound of the shot...if calm, I’ll be shooting half way between the deers chest and the ground...if I miss, I miss...but the shot woulda had to have been at least 7” low for it to have hit mid chest or high lungs.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-15-2020 at 11:03 AM.

I kept reading this thinking, “I’ve read this before”. Then I realized I had, on AT.

Hate that it went down like that but a lot can happen between the time your arrow leaves the string and when it gets to the target.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Saw a buzzard circling low on Tuesday by a creek that runs under the road out to my house. I pulled over and got my onX pulled up, and if the deer kept circling right at the big, wide circle he was making, this spot would be within 500 yards from his projected travel path...that said, it would have been a Looooooonnnng circle, and he would have bypassed stopping in a ton of thick cover to keep trucking to this spot. That said...it was close to where the circle would bring him. The buzzard lands on a 4x4 post by the creek, so I got out of the truck and started in that direction. After stepping off the side of the road, I see a dead deer in a ditch not 15 feet from the side of the road, and I had driven by the deer at least 50 times since I wounded the deer I shot at. I thought it was a doe at first, but it was too big to be a doe. It was horribly decomposed and pretty much stripped clean. Someone had stopped and cut off each antler between the flared out burr/base and the skull. I couldn't tell if there was an obvious hit to the skull, as it was a pretty nasty mess, but when I was trying to pry off some of the rawhide to get a look at the skull, the skull broke in half just at the back of the eye socket. This could have been a deer hit by a car that cracked his skull in half, but no evidence of a hit on the road...and it never rains, (unless its the day or two after you shoot a deer and want to continue a blood trail search) so evidence gets left behind. I hope I'm wrong and he's alive and doing well, but I have a feeling that all anyone got out of that clusterfug was a set of rattling antlers.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-25-2020 at 09:20 PM.