Thread: Best Opening Day I could ever imagine

Default Best Opening Day I could ever imagine

Well our field got devoured by deer but we struck up a deal with farmer down rd that has a huge corn field, saw him cutting corn and he ended up making us a good deal on his cornfield and left some standing rows for us to hunt in

I am guessing 50-60 acre field with few scattered big oak and pecan trees

My 5 1/2 yr old grandson went with me, we drove sxs to big pecan tree out in wide open field and I was thinking more than anything it would be nice and shady in case he got hot .

Not best spot on field by far but enough to shoot a few doves , but like any trip with a 5 yr old as soon as we got settled down those words any parent(and Grandparent) dreads hearing . “Poppa Tommy I gotta poop”. Well we hope in sxs and drove to parking area and he was amazed I toilet paper in my truck. Took care of his business and back we went, naturally he wanted to drive sxs

Other guys and their teen boys were having a good shoot but Cason and I sat there and talked all day, had a few birds get by me due to our conversation . I shot 1 dove with 1 shot and he went and got it , had few other passing shots but really out of reach . By dove numbers worse hunt ever but nothing would take place of a 3-4 hour conversation with my grandson

We did move to other part of field after my buddy called me and asked how we were doing, he knew he had not heard a lot of shots from us but figured we were ok or I would have called. I think most other guys limited out but nobody had as good a time as I did today

To top it off I got a text from my Daughter in Law after I dropped him off, “Cason said this was his BEST DAY EVER”. She said he talked non stop about his day even his lunch . That melted my heart and made that one dove better than any limit I have ever taken

This my friends is what life is all about, enjoy every minute of it since nobody is guaranteed their next breath

0D9E596B-EBAA-4586-81EF-BD623381DB8B.jpg84C73762-CFF6-4014-BAA3-0963AC9A5B69.jpgB5413585-58B2-418C-B355-5EF21078B85F.jpg13AB35E1-B26E-4E10-9BD3-A1BF17444A4C.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 09-05-2020 at 09:38 PM.

That’s awesome, that’s what it’s all about.

Big thumbs up, Poppa T. Thanks for sharing and helping keep things in perspective.
    Last edited by wskinner; 09-05-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Nothing better than having kids hunting.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013