Thread: PIGWEED-Help

Default PIGWEED-Help

We have had a 5 acre dove field for the past 20 years.
    We have planted sunflowers and had good results until PIGWEED took over this year.

It was slowly getting worse, but it really took over this year.

What are our future options? How do we get it under control?

Do we switch from sunflowers to something else for a few years? Do we burn the field this year?

I know it will be a long uphill battle, but we have to do something. We lost the battle and I don't know where to start back.

So we have a significant pigweed issue as well. We bought a hooded sprayer at the beginning of the year and that has helped but not fixed the problem. I just recently went in with a boomless sprayer and burnt everything down. Doves are thick...zidua is the chemical I’m told will help significantly with the problem. I’m throwing around the idea of planting a winter cover crop and then planting directly into that next year and coupling that with a new herbicide plan to include the zidua. I’m not sure how all that will work out though....it’s an ongoing process....all that said if you have the option I would rotate crops for a few years to something you can torch the pigweed in. We want to keep the flowers where they are so that isn’t an option for us at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I know a fella who used zidua on a sizable field this year, we tried some last year, but I know it had no chance when we applied. It's expensive, luke expensive. Rotation would help, but the seeds can sit for a couple of years. We went all corn in our fenced area, was flowers, and some flowers of the outside. We'll go a couple of years like that along with nuking shit at any sign of growth.

Birds don't give a toot about it, they'll eat it, but it's ugly and retrieving the birds is the problem

I laughed the other day when I was on the tractor thinking about how Johnson grass was my enemy.

I heard people talk about bottom plowing a field in an attempt to bury the pigweed seed deep enough where it won't come up. I have doubts that this would work but it would be something easy to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    I heard people talk about bottom plowing a field in an attempt to bury the pigweed seed deep enough where it won't come up. I have doubts that this would work but it would be something easy to try.
    That’s something else I have considered trying

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Messican, cooler of water and....

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipm...rs/walk-behind

Your welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I used to do that. I would estimate it reduced the weed germination by 40%.

If you could plant somewhere else, a good game plan would be to turn plow,....and then periodically shallow disc the field throughout the season(approx 4 times).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-04-2020 at 10:01 AM.

layering pre-emergents is best.
    If you cover crop with Rye do not let it get to seed, kill it before and plant into dead standing rye.
    Hand pull and remove pigweeds through out the year.
    cut\'em

The best thing to combat pig week is two hands and a hoe. If you let them produce seed you just added multiple generations to the seed bank.

Limit soil disturbance. Rotate the crops and use cover crops. Plant right into the crop residue. Your soil will thank you and you’ll see less of the stuff over time. The rye recommendation is good for just about any no-till wildlife plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    The best thing to combat pig week is two hands and a hoe. If you let them produce seed you just added multiple generations to the seed bank.

Limit soil disturbance. Rotate the crops and use cover crops. Plant right into the crop residue. Your soil will thank you and you’ll see less of the stuff over time. The rye recommendation is good for just about any no-till wildlife plot.
    I’m gonna give it a shot! We run strip till for corn and sunflowers so a good cover crop is easy enough to achieve

Best control we’ve gotten is by bringing in hand labor before they seed and have them pull them and remove the plants from the field. Do this as many times a year as you need and never let them get to seed. It’s expensive but after a few years you won’t have near the problem you currently have.
    For the ducks