Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Build Must-Haves

Default Home Build Must-Haves

The craziness of the last year has brought home build planning to a standstill, but we're finalizing plans now. I wanted to make sure i'm not missing any must-haves and/or nice-to-haves.

What are some things that you included, or wished you would have included, either for initial or future enhancements?

e.g. fit electrical for future whole house generator. Stub (or whatever you call it) for gas/plumbing for future outdoor kitchen. any accommodation needed that will make future pool easier? work shop?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

A garage. A big one. Bigger than you think. When you think you got it big enough go ahead and make it a little bit bigger.

I tell clients to put money into the bones/structure/mechanics of the house. The rest is just like paint and can be changed relatively easily. Yes, a generator is on a mandatory list for me but it's due more to location than anything. Quality windows and doors, not something from window world or similar. Also, don't go hog wild with shiplap or things like that everywhere, remember the '70s and '80s with the paneling, cultured marble tubs, berber carpet, heavy moldings etc, it's all being ripped out and replaced, drywall is still just being painted. Put in a stub out or two for plumbing, electric or gas but leave them capped under the house if on a crawl, easier to move if you do.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Bathrooms.

Walk-in attic. That way the wife can get her own holiday decorations down and not pester you about it for the 14th time even though Christmas is over a month away and you've been up well before sunrise every day for the last 7 straight.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

As far as a pool goes, build near a neighbor or friend with one. Otherwise dig a hole, grab a chair and a few beers and chunk a few Benjamin’s in it every month.

On a serious note, definitely add as many electrical outlets as possible, inside and out. Add wiring for exterior lighting and fans for potential outdoor kitchen as well. If you’re putting in natural gas definitely run a line to the patio/deck etc. Run water to outdoor kitchen and potential outdoor shower too. If you’re building with a crawl space make sure it’s big enough to get into semi-comfortably when you’re older.

One story! Stairs suck when u get old. Carpet, went all hardwoods, feet would love to feel some padded carpet under them. I wouldn't run phone are cable line these days. Wiring for cameras and lightning in corners of house. Wiring for columns at end of driveway.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Even if you don't use gas for anything else, have lines ran for the kitchen range.

If you have larger mounts, make sure you have a room or two with higher, or vaulted, ceilings.

bug out room
    bomb shelter
    pickle pantry
    water storage
    prepper shelving
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Walk-in attic. That way the wife can get her own holiday decorations down and not pester you about it for the 14th time even though Christmas is over a month away and you've been up well before sunrise every day for the last 7 straight.
    Guarandamtee my wife will have those decorations out Nov 1.....but she can climb the ladder, so all good.

And to the OP, must have Corian countertops thru out. Don't forget the shower walls too!!
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I have built two house with 2 women.

1st time was a big mistake

2nd time I learned a solid lesson """""Build you a damn shop for all your needs as big as you need for all your needs , 36x42 was big enough for me"""" leave the damn house alone for the woman hahahaha

also get her a sheshed for season decorations. That shit aint sitting up in my shop.

I did just that and I ain't got one thing to complain about because I can do what ever I please with my shop without worrying.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 09-03-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Hell with a gayrage, build it big enough for your vehicles and build you a damn shop for everything else.

Built a lot of places and the one thing seems universal in everybody's Monday Morning Quarterbacking is a larger laundry/mud room...Go ahead and build that sucker at least 5 times the size you think you need...It always winds up getting an extra refrigerator, freezer, safe.....Give the Misses plenty of room to iron, fold and hang clothes...Have yet to go back to a client and they tell me I built something too big.

oh..and i got a pool you can have. come get it
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Also butcher block makes for a bad ass island for cutting your dead shit after cooking. This is my kitchen, trying to decide what to stain butcher block now.
    76D11ACC-76C8-44A8-9B1C-EE49188D605B.jpg
    Last edited by dhall1693; 09-03-2020 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Also butcher block makes for a bad ass island for cutting your dead shit after cooking. This is my kitchen, trying to decide what to stain butcher block now.
    76D11ACC-76C8-44A8-9B1C-EE49188D605B.jpg
    Who built those cabinets for you?

great stuff. thanks all
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bug out room
    bomb shelter
    pickle pantry
    water storage
    prepper shelving
    I meant beyond the obvious.
    Last edited by everlast; 09-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

Built in gun safe and mud room.

Hot water hose bib.