Thread: Yamaha hydraulic assist

Default Yamaha hydraulic assist

Looking at a Yamaha 40 with the hydraulic assist instead of normal T/T. Can I:
    1.) remove the hydraulic assist
    2.) if I can’t, can I add a CMC t/t unit or will it effect normal operation
    3.) does the hydraulic assist allow the motor to kick up it Im rolling over a stump or log?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I have it on a 40 and love it. I can’t answer the first two questions but I can tell you from experience that it will pop up if you hit a stump or log as long as you don’t lock it. I would take this over t/t on a tiller handle motor any day.

1: Yes you could remove it but would probably need something in it's place.
    2: You can definitely put an aftermarket T/T unit in between the hull and the motor. I have the Panther 55 on mine.
    3: Yes you can leave the motor in the "unlocked" position and it will kick up/ lift over a log very easily. Only time I really have my motor in the "Locked" position is when i'm in reverse, otherwise the prop want to lift out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I have it on a 40 and love it. I can’t answer the first two questions but I can tell you from experience that it will pop up if you hit a stump or log as long as you don’t lock it. I would take this over t/t on a tiller handle motor any day.
    Why do you like it so much? Can you make the motor rise up quickly if you hit a shallow patch without having to slow down?
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I used to have one with a hydraulic assist and really liked it. Pretty much just accounted for the weight of the motor. You could run it locked down or free floated (would kick up). If I was idling around and saw a log coming I would shift back to neutral and push on the tiller handle which would kick the motor up over the log. Only thing is if it is not in the locked down position when you shift to reverse it will bob up and down depending on throttle. Sorry can't speaking to being able to remove it but I don't see why you couldn't. Lived in Mobile when I had that motor and frequented the Mobile and Tensaw rivers, good times.

I had it on a 40 Johnson, short shaft. Faster than tilt and trim.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Why do you like it so much? Can you make the motor rise up quickly if you hit a shallow patch without having to slow down?
    Yes, you can. I also have had back problems and have two young boys who drive the boat. Anybody can raise the motor by just pushing down on the tiller handle. You do have to go to neutral if you are running but you can do it fast. It is a feature I didn’t think I needed when I bought it, but would definitely get again.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I had it on a 40 Johnson, short shaft. Faster than tilt and trim.
    Had the same thing, but they didn’t last long in salt water. Hopefully Yamaha fixed that.

In the 90's those units were easy to find as everyone was taking them off and putting electric tilt on. Mine never failed me and it was used in salt and brackish.
    Buddy of mine liked it so much he retro fit one to a Yamaha 40, fit in there like a glove.
    Going wide open let off the gas while unlocking it, force of water pushes motor up, locked in and get back on throttle, it's trimmed up, unlock to adjust.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Thanks for the help. I think I need to go run a boat with one to see how I like it for myself.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

Really not much about it to dislike IMO.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE