Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Fields

Default Open Fields

https://www.agweb.com/article/govern...me-open-fields

"Can the government place cameras and monitoring equipment on a private citizen’s land at will, or conduct surveillance and stakeouts on private land, without probable cause or a search warrant? Indeed, according to the U.S. Supreme Court’s (SCOTUS) interpretation of the Fourth Amendment. Welcome to Open Fields."

Article describes two suits challenging the "Open Fields" interpretation of the 4th Amendment. In one case, TWRA officers placed camera(s) on the property inhabited by a convicted dove baiter. I assume looking for further violations. In the other case, they placed camera(s) on the property of a suspected duck baiter (who was later convicted, I assume with the help of evidence from the camera(s)).

Is this as it should be? Surely helps catch and convict game violators, but what about those of us who don't fit that category? Should we be subject to the same without probable cause or a warrant?

Interesting arguments for sure. I don't know the answer but does being a convicted baiter not give probable cause? Also, I don't know how else the green jeans would catch people baiting and such. How else would they gain probable cause without some level of surveillance?

We have a good relationship with the GW's around our property. Heck, for several years we baited the fool out of our beaver ponds to build up the woodie population. Called the GW's and told them we were baiting, said if you hear any shooting from down at our ponds get there ASAP cause it ain't us....

One thing that I have learned and seen from friends and such is that if someone is going to bait and such, they are usually a habitual offender and are always trying to figure out ways to outsmart the GW's. Rarely have I seen people be one and done with baiting after being busted.
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post

usually a habitual offender and are always trying to figure out ways to outsmart the GW's. Rarely have I seen people be one and done with baiting after being busted.
    Great post. I could write 10 pages on this and they would still run right out and shoot 30 minutes early opening morning and wonder why the mean old warden is up their ass all season...

Since we are talking about baiting- exactly what is legal for doves with my corn field? Bushog a couple rows and let it lay on the ground? Drag it around after cutting it?

Any manipulation of the grown in the field grain is legal as long as you don't remove the grain from the field and bring it back.

I know the SCDNR wardens use cameras but I do not think they use them without due cause. On property near us they are used for supposed trespassing. That's one thing that I know the land owner is aware of.

But let's say a person suspects baiting and reports it. Turkeys and corn for example. Would a game warden be justified in putting a camera there. Isn't a wild turkey considered to be property of the state?

And wouldn't you want a turkey poacher busted?

Sorry if you get caught but this happens.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post

But let's say a person suspects baiting and reports it.
    Boy can that be abused. Ask me how I know...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Boy can that be abused. Ask me how I know...
    I can believe it. Jealous hunters?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

What’s the difference in monitoring from a camera on the ground or one on a drone or satellite?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

And jealous government managers too.

What is the law on shooting down drones over your property? Serious question. I know you guys have encountered this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    What is the law on shooting down drones over your property? Serious question. I know you guys have encountered this.
    Ducks don't react the same to being scared by different things. To which I mean even from a mile away, you can tell when they are reacting to an eagle or falcon, versus a redtail, versus a man, versus a rutting buck chasing a doe through them all by the way they take flight.

The first time I saw them being droned it blew my little mind. I had never seen them react that way. There wasn't a duck left in the pond by the time I figured it out. They really, really hated that shit...

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    FAA will eat you for lunch and supper.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

helicopters, too
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Pro tip sort of related to the topic:

If you want to find a game camera, try looking at night and use your phone's camera viewer. The camera can "see" the infrared flash. You can also tell if your TV remote is working by looking at it with your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Pro tip sort of related to the topic:

If you want to find a game camera, try looking at night and use your phone's camera viewer. The camera can "see" the infrared flash. You can also tell if your TV remote is working by looking at it with your camera.
    Guess we found SCduck's habitual baiting offender! Haha just messin
    Formerly DM88

Govt intrusion. Violation of constitutional rights. Period.

esp when I got ducks using the damn corn
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Guess we found SCduck's habitual baiting offender! Haha just messin
    My wife has lost some of our wireless security cameras and the only way we could find them was looking at night with the phone.