Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Turn Mowers

Default Zero Turn Mowers

Asking for some information/reviews on zero turn mowers. Never owned one but will need one for about a flat acre yard. Must haves, things/product to avoid...???

Any information is appreciated!

First locate your nearest service dealer and buy whatever they sell.

You will hear all kinds of stuff and people will point to to things like badboy and dixie, etc...

Stick with John Deere or Exmark if you can. But seriously, a flat one acre yard doesn't justify a zero turn unless you just want one. And at one acre, any old zero turn will work. I have one acre and a john deere. I cut my yard, baseball practice field and sometimes the baseball field. I also used to cut my wifes grandmothers yard. I've had it for over 3 years and still don't have 100 hours on it.
    Last edited by reeltight; 09-01-2020 at 10:30 AM.

I got a commercial Husky that I hardly use these days. I got a yard guy that costs me $70/week to cut, trim, blow etc. My yard guy has the same Husky mowers and runs the hell out of them, cuts half the yards on my street alone in an afternoon.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Reliable service is a must and stay away from any of the junk sold at the big box stores. I don’t care what brand sticker and color paint they put on it. Spend the money on a good one that has a fabricated deck, Make sure service and parts are within a 30 minute drive and use it til the wheels fall off.

I've got a Hustler, which I have been very pleased with...I can echo RT's comments about it not being a necessity for an acre but it did legit cut my time on the mower in half on jut under an acre. What used to take me 45 mins of seat time now takes just a shade over 20 as long as I don't let the grass get to tall to cut wide open. Think my hustler cuts at 7.5 mph or somewhere in that vicinity. Very thick centipede with the mulching attachment. Cutting the grass at the lake used to take well over two hours and now its just under an hour.

I would add the following: Avoid the entry level machine from most all the manufacturers(they can usually be found at the box stores as well).
    Last edited by FishSticker; 09-01-2020 at 10:53 AM.

If you're only cutting your yard, don't go for the big commercial ones. Get something small. I use a 42" Cub Cadet and it does fine on my yard. Ditto on what Hosscat said about not buying from a box store. And from my experience, the less safety mechanisms, the better.

Go buy whatever you can afford. I was tired of working on my 89 Craftsman every time I had to use it, so one Father’s Day I said the heck with it and headed to Lowes. I bought an RZ2346 Husqvarna on their 90 day same as cash offer and never looked back. That has been 8 years ago, and I finally had to replace the deck this year. I would say that’s alright in my book considering I don’t baby my stuff and cut about 5 acres in sand land. It’s all in what you want and\or can afford.
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Anything with a Kawasaki engine.

Most commercial brands have a residential option that go for $5k or less. Fabricated deck is a must.

If you have any ditches I would look into a more aggressive tire to keep you out of them.

A flat acre and you can indeed go with stuff sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. Just in my group of buddies, we have a Husquvarna 46" with 580hrs on it. Just rebuilt the front suspension, which took all of 30 mins to accomplish. Got another buddy with a 16yrs old Troy Bilt. Still has the original tires on it. Runs like a champ. I have an older Cub Cadet with 450hrs and a newish John Deere with 300hrs on it. Both of those from big box stores. No issues with either. I would suggest a hydrostatic transmission, and not a shift transmission. The Husquvarna is the only mower is this group that you can cut forwards/backwards without doing anything but pushing the directional pedals. The TB does, but that's because we deleted the safety. The JD can, but you have to push a button. The CC will as well, but that's a shift into Reverse and the key has to be in the right position and a button pushed.
    Take care of your equipment, it will take care of you.

online reviews and customer service hotline are the most important.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I've got a Bobcat that I've been using on my 6-acre yard for the last 6yrs, and my grandparent's house which is roughly 5-acre. It's done all I could ask.

Next go around tho, I'm going to look into the Country Clipper brand of mowers. They have a joystick for controls which will make beer drinking that much easier.

Get a Bad Boy and thank me later. I’ve had several others and they are no comparison. I think they still have the thickest fabricated deck in the market, as far as homeowner mowers.

Fabricated decks provide zero advantage in a one acre residential yard. You'll get better airflow and mulching performance out of a stamped deck.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Fabricated decks provide zero advantage in a one acre residential yard. You'll get better airflow and mulching performance out of a stamped deck.
    Bull. Longevity. Especially in sandy soil.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Bingo. If you want the deck to last, get a fabricated deck.

I had a zero turn Cub cadet that lasted at least 10 years and I used the shit out of it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Cub Cadet would be my second choice, right behind Bad Boy. They are decent mowers but are noticeably slower.

I got almost 1-1/2 acre's and I can't justify a zeroturn and it ain't flat as you know. My 48" Huskyvarner lawn tractor is fast and gets it done. I will sell it to you less than 100/hrs. Regardless buy from a local dealer and not a big box store. Thank me later and YES I KNOW I spelled it wrong
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I bought a bad boy ZT elite 54 with the 747cc this spring and put 30 hours so far on it cutting my yard. Warranty is awesome, and I have had zero issues. I like the fact I can access every pulley, clutch, reservoir, and any component to the motor.

Also make great cooler holders for a recliner to drink beer
    mower.jpg
    Last edited by dhall1693; 09-01-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Longevity of a 1 acre residential yard...you're over thinking this.

John Deere has it's fair share of the market with both residential and commercial guys...all stamped. Guess they got it wrong.

There's pro's and cons to both. Fabricated deck in a residential setting would not be a decision making factor for me.