Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best Dove Shell

I've been known to shoot a few shells during the summer. Probably in the range of 40k a year, 14k just in competition. I can say without a doubt, its not really about shooting shells at clay birds. Its more about perfecting moves and really connecting with the targets. Neither of which includes keeping score. Score only matters if you are shooting a competition.

The stuff I see people doing on sporting courses blows my mind. Most of you are working against yourselves but still manage to connect enough times to keep running down the wrong path.

Clay targets may not be exactly how birds fly but the fundamentals are exactly the same.
    Last edited by Gander; 09-07-2020 at 10:06 AM.

pff

kidding

I'll still say predominantly the clay ranges I typically shoot at are tougher than most bird hunts that I'll attend

No doubt. The distance and speed I see targets thrown at most big tournaments would be considered sky busting to the highest degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I've been known to shoot a few shells during the summer. Probably in the range of 40k a year, 14k just in competition. I can say without a doubt, its not really about shooting shells at clay birds. Its more about perfecting moves and really connecting with the targets. Neither of which includes keeping score. Score only matters if you are shooting a competition.

The stuff I see people doing on sporting courses blows my mind. Most of you are working against yourselves but still manage to connect enough times to keep running down the wrong path.

Clay targets may not be exactly how birds fly but the fundamentals are exactly the same.
    Well put....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Any practice should be better than no practice, if the only time you shoot your shotgun at flying targets is when you step on a dove field . . .

Phffft - what would you boys know about REAL shells? All you need is a case or 3 of these rat cheer... Can't get any higher brass than these:

(Red shell shown for reference)

Brass shells.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Any practice should be better than no practice, if the only time you shoot your shotgun at flying targets is when you step on a dove field . . .
    I wouldn’t go to far with this, I know some phenomenal shots that don’t “practice”. Hunting with them will make you a better shot or you’ll starve.