Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best Dove Shell

I shot with him in Houston today at the South Central regional. I saw him put in a few high brass Winchesters today in the prelim. Pretty sure they were magic shells.
    Last edited by Gander; 09-04-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Shit yeah

Not bragging but I’m probably one of the better shooters you will see in a dove field. With that said I still get my ass kicked a lot by easy shots that should be give me’s.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Not bragging but I’m probably one of the better shooters you will see in a dove field. With that said I still get my ass kicked a lot by easy shots that should be give me’s.
    BULL SHIT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

What...I do miss some easy ones every now and then. Hard to believe I know, but it’s true.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-04-2020 at 08:44 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    How will you ever know if I am not there? They also call me DRDEATH on the dove field. I can be there and 1 box of shell's and let's have at it. You get first shot bigboy
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

28 gauge loaded with 3/4 oz of 8's is perfection for September doves.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I understood him fine, but it’s the way he said it.

He’s basically saying buy good equipment, buy the same thing every time and have confidence in it. I pretty much agree with that.BUT, if for some reason one day I can’t find my preferred brand/load of shells I’m not going to blame any missed on not having the right shells

I’ve been outshot with my own gun too many times to know that the shell and choke are only a very small part of the equation.
    Preach.
    Carolina Counsel

Clothing World has a pretty good selection of shells. Got a case from there today. Not sure if they’re open tomorrow, but hope everyone has a good opener

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    So you’re saying you lead birds differently for a 1250fps shell vs. a 1300fps shell???

I’ve heard it all
    sorry, just got back to this, 1250 vs 1300, no, I'm just saying I like to shoot the same shell all the time, I dont buy whatever is on sale and expect to shoot my best. I'm past the age of just wanting to empty my gun cause shooting in the air is fun been there done that

Side note, one of my my goals has been for years to shoot a limit with as many shells, say 12 birds for 12 shots. Anyone else? I've done it in 15 shots once and 17 shots twice, in a box many times. Anyone worried about thier shootin skills could go shoot sporting clays in the summer, that made the best improvement for me.

I do, once or twice a year.. then sometimes, I'll act dumb trying to take a shot that I really shouldn't have.. or trying to take out silly rock doves. A couple years back I needed one less shot, I had a scotch double attached to it. Some do it, I've always heard that saying that shooting is fun and shells are cheap.. My father would have kicked my ass, I was limited typically to a box, maybe two if he felt generous as young as 10. it was something that was stressed to me growing up, which I was cool with.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 09-07-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Well done HS! When I get to around #10 I start feeling the pressure and miss an easy one, 12 for 12 is fine shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    sorry, just got back to this, 1250 vs 1300, no, I'm just saying I like to shoot the same shell all the time, I dont buy whatever is on sale and expect to shoot my best. I'm past the age of just wanting to empty my gun cause shooting in the air is fun been there done that

Side note, one of my my goals has been for years to shoot a limit with as many shells, say 12 birds for 12 shots. Anyone else? I've done it in 15 shots once and 17 shots twice, in a box many times. Anyone worried about thier shootin skills could go shoot sporting clays in the summer, that made the best improvement for me.
    I know what you were saying, we’re good
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 09-07-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I try to keep my shell count low.
    However, I started shooting LH for the first time last season but it' gone quite well considering.
    Haven't shot since Feb until the last two days.
    It's felt pretty good and all things considered I'm under 2.5 boxes for both days combined @ 12 bird limits.
    I've only shot 100% in the dove field once in my days been close many times....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-07-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I try to keep my shell count low.
    However, I started shooting LH for the first time last season but it' gone quite well considering.
    Haven't shot since Feb until the last two days.
    It's felt pretty good and all things considered I'm under 2.5 boxes for both days combined @ 12 bird limits.
    I've only shot 100% in the dove field once in my days been close many times....
    it's all depending on the birds.. I mean some fields are easier than other. And you were a good shot before the switch, you'll be there soon. That last time I shot next to Rebel Y's dad, I know I had to spend more shells than I was used to, bobbing and weaving around that irrigation set up. it's fun though, and these days I get more of a kick shooting winter birds in wind. That really gets me going, and I'm not walking out of ours not missing a couple few.

I missed the first two birds I shot at yesterday, twice on both.. It took me a bit to clear my mind.

Shooting big fat yankee birds in January is the best

I like shooting I will shoot as much as I fucking can.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

your voice will still echo over the reports...

I had to P