Thread: Salvinia

Default Salvinia

Is everywhere on Santee. Large mats are forming in slot of places around the lake.

I'm not sure if it's Common or Giant Salvinia.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

It's Giant Salvinia. After watching the damage in Louisiana over the last 20 years, there is nothing worse that GS in a waterway. I'm so thankful that the horribly invasive monoculture hydrilla has been essentially eradicated from our public waters so now a new even more nasty invasive with ZERO benefits can now take over.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Friends were down fishing over the weekend and said a mat over a hundred yards long had made it almost to the canal. Oh, and the fishing sucked. Not good........
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

800 carp per acre should be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    800 carp per acre should be a good start.
    “Grass carp only eating giant salvinia died,” Sanders said. “Giant salvinia contains a metabolic toxin.”

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/portals/...giant-salvinia
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My next suggestion was hippopotamuses, https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/li...ways/71621410/ but sounds like we might as well just knock some holes in the GSX/Laidlaw/SafetyKleen liners and let it all flow. That should take care of any salvinia worries...

They are lowering a lake in LA a whopping 50 percent to try and stop the spread. That's some bad stuff!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    “Grass carp only eating giant salvinia died,” Sanders said. “Giant salvinia contains a metabolic toxin.”

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/portals/...giant-salvinia
    I don't think they have an effective herbacide for it....and I don't think ducks eat it either.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk