Thread: I'm thinking OLD!

Default I'm thinking OLD!

What say ye? 15 yard shot from my natural ground hide. I hope he continues to hang out here, and I pray I don't screw it up!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I'm thinking, He's gotta shit!!

Short tines. Would have been a good’ern last year.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 08-31-2020 at 07:16 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Did you miss his sarcasm? He is actively shitting at your camera.

He's not going to walk in range of a pup tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

He's not going to walk in range of a pup tent.
    Damn now you tell me
    80-20 Genaration

Looks like a cat to me.

That’s clearly not in SC. You ain’t never ever going to catch a mature buck walking around in the wide ass open in daylight here.

Got pics of cows in there this morning...dammit! That area is a small little bedding area in the middle of nothing, and the rancher just put 10-15 cows in there yesterday. It might help if the deer continue to hang in there with the cows, but I’ve heard that deer would rather not hang out with them. No pup tent...just a hole in the middle of a big tree/limb pile I can shoot out of. I was thinking the same thing...he saw my camera the night before and wanted to give me one last f-U pic to remember him by. That said, it’s enough to keep me engaged while sitting in the pile of sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    No pup tent...just a hole in the middle of a big tree/limb pile I can shoot out of.
    That's legit hunting then. You have my approval.

I bet he looks less impressive from the front and side. That going away shot will fool you. Still a cool buck, and that bonus on the left brow is neat, but he doesn’t have long beams or any real tine length. Those coke can bases would get him killed real fast tho...

He won’t score for jack, but he’s cool and ancient. I can only shoot one buck and no does out here, and I can’t venture more than 25 minutes from my work place...severely limited opportunities to shoot a deer this year to say the least. I got lucky gaining access to this small spot 400 yards from my house. I was very happy when I saw a small six show up on camera...that six point just caught a big damn break. I would love to know what he looked like in his prime.

Go man. Hope you make some great memories hunting there.

That’s a full send
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

%#^*#! He’s going to die of old age. Cows knocked my camera over, so I went in to fix it. There are 20+ cows in this little spot, and they are tromping all through the spots the deer were bedding in...continuously. Ain’t no way that any whitetails are going to be bedding in there until those cows are gone. Fuggg!

Yeah, deer don’t like cows.

Cows taste much better.....

He's bedded close by.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Assuming that’s a Wyoming whitetail. If so, he’s a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Assuming that’s a Wyoming whitetail. If so, he’s a pretty good one.
    Wyoming is way underrated for whitetails. The taxidermist here has several that come in each year that are 150”-170” that are killed fairly nearby. This isn’t considered a great area of the state for big whitetails either. I think Spur Hunter is correct. That deer was moving between a nearby standing corn field and the bedding cover I’m hunting near. The cow fence runs between a grove of tea olive trees and a wet, 30-50 yard wide bottom between the tea olives and a railroad track. The tea olive clusters have limbs that hang to the ground around the perimeter and form open, grassy, shaded tent-like spots that deer love to bed under...they can see danger coming, they stay cool, they can eat the grass, and they can escape out of the bed in any direction. The wet bottom between the fence and the RR tracks consists of three 30x20 to 50x20 stands of 8’high willow that is ridiculously thick/tightly packed...willows are 2”-6” apart, and I honestly didn’t think the deer would be in there having no hunting pressure. Between the willows are stands of cattails in the wetter spots where it’s slightly lower/depressed spots of land. When I was pulling my camera, I heard a deer jump in the middle of the smallest willow stand. I worked my way in there and found a spot that was dry and open enough for a deer bed. Left my camera there, and I get pics where deer have walked close enough to trip the infrared trigger but the camera can’t focus and capture anything past the willow wall closest to the camera. Have daytime pics of does bedding right in front of the camera in that small open spot. I’m betting that the big boy is bedding somewhere in the center of the biggest willow stand right below where I got his pic since the cows are living in his preferred bedding spot. I just can’t see him moving too far away, as he has it all right there. Bedding, no pressure, does, and a stroll across an alfalfa field to a standing corn field...all within a 300 yard circle. I’m waiting on the correct wind and weather day. I’m going to have to hunker down in a weed patch pretty close to where I think he’s bedding, because my my original hide is in and amongst the cattle and requires a southwest wind...which does not happen often. I’m going to walk in early on the first day that’s right and hang out about 300 yards from the spot until the morning train comes. Going to haul ass into that weed patch when the train is going by and hope that the noise/distraction keeps me undetected. I don’t know how hard I’ll hunt him...tough to do when there are other spots with nice, much easier to kill mule deer hanging out.