Thread: New woods

Default New woods

I have been able to be lazy the last three years hunting on family land. We are back in NC now and I am learning new woods. I found lots of white oaks today that look loaded, some decent trails, and year old buck sign.

What’s the acorn situation where y’all are looking around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good. Which is good and bad. Thought to pin them down when there’s akerns everywhere.

Acorns looking good but I’m running behind

The farm- I’ve got a new stand up that I’m excited about and have deer on camera all day long. It’s on the edge of a long hardwood strip that runs parallel with the edge of a clear cut . The past couple squirrel seasons I’ve seen a heck of a scrape and rub line and I’ve been threatening to put a stand there for about 3yrs now.
    I’ve got one stand down there in need of some minor repairs and should be able to fix it tomorrow. There’s an acorn tree on the edge of a field that usually serves as a very good indicator of what the other trees will do and it’s loaded.

The club - food plots are in as of this week. I’ve got a new stand up there as well. Back to a creek with some hardwoods in front of me, Some pines behind them that run the base of a hill and narrow down creating a good funnel. I’ve noticed a few acorns in there last week but didn’t really look in depth. I’m planning to hunt it as more of a travel route/funnel zone so with or without acorns I think I’ll be good. going to finish trimming up limbs down there tomorrow after church. There are a few other places that I’ll hunt with my climber on the club.. We have some huge sections of hardwoods so like a Glenn said it’s a good and bad thing. I typically let the weekend only hunters get it out of their system and kind of strategically plan my days to hunt when other members aren’t likely to be there.

The river- We are way behind. Its mainly pines and a clear cut but there are a few hardwoods mixed in but we kill some nice deer down there every year. Monday afternoon we’re going there to build a footbridge across a drainage ditch in a very thick clear cut so we can access a patch of hardwoods in the middle. Hoping to get the stand up in there as well on Monday. Then after that we’ve got to find a day to get a buddy stand up and there’s going to be some serious work to get shooting lanes cleared for it.

With dove season just a week from today it’s going to be tough to get everything finished down there before bow season opens.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It'll probably be February before Taylormade releases some for me to look at.

Reds are looking good and that’s what I usually find them on early. Beech are loaded and good early too, also great for woodies later. Haven’t seen any whites yet but expected some to be shook out with rain and wind by now. Water oaks, well we always got a blue million.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Oddly water and pin oaks here did not produce. White oaks are loaded. I have not checked red oaks yet. Like Spur they usually fall first here and hold deer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DC- my acorn trees are full too

Mountain mast crop is on blast this year...