Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Team/Tournaments

Default Fishing Team/Tournaments

My son is going into the 6th grade and he is a die hard bass fisherman. To the point where that is all he wants to do and know he wants to try and fish tournaments. I breathe it too but don’t know anything other that beating the banks for bass fishing.

Trying to figure out where to begin to get him more involved. He wants to get really serious with it. They have a club that starts in 7th grade at his middle school but not even sure they fish tournaments.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe get involved with the 7th graders now anyway he can. Almost like a middleschooler thats not quite eligible for JV but helps the team out however they can. As far as a tournament, why not just do them yourself? Make it a weekend thing at your local lake and let the kids have at it. Kids could be the 'pros' while dad(or mom) could be the amateurs.
    every expert was once a beginner

Buy a fast glitter boat with carpet.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Reach out to the club and see if they would let him start coming to a few events/meetings under the idea he was joining next year.

See if there is a high school team where he can start a conversation with the coach on what he can be doing now.

Find some local tournaments and fish them together with him. Keep it competitive but fun.

Check out the Aiken Christian Bass Anglers, it’s a good local group of guys and I’d be surprised if one or two of them don’t lurk on here. My dad fishes a number of their tournaments, he’s learned a lot from some of those guys. There’s a good bit of competitiveness to it but they’re always willing to help new folks learn as well. They fish a monthly tournament and do two big tournaments a year. I’ve fished a handful of them and they’re always a good time
    Not sure if they have a fb page or not but if you need a good contact info for them shoot me a pm and I’ll pass some info alone
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

My son fishes the sc high school bass challenge. The contact name for the sc state director is tony gray. If you want I can get you in contact with him. He could tell you anything you need to know. Great guy and loves youth bass fishing!
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    My son fishes the sc high school bass challenge. The contact name for the sc state director is tony gray. If you want I can get you in contact with him. He could tell you anything you need to know. Great guy and loves youth bass fishing!
    That would be great

https://schighschoolbasschallenge.co...ents-%2F-forms
    I also coach a team that fishes the bass challenge, great trail, have really enjoyed it. Feel free to call me with any questions, season starts at winyah bay September the 19th. 803-860-2020

Being in the 6th grade he needs time on the water fun fishing....from the bank, kayak, or Jon boat. Fishing big lakes is tough compared to ponds. At this point he needs action and fun.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Being in the 6th grade he needs time on the water fun fishing....from the bank, kayak, or Jon boat. Fishing big lakes is tough compared to ponds. At this point he needs action and fun.

He fishes our neighborhood pond/lake literally almost everyday. He will leave the house in the morning some days and we won’t see him again until dinner time. Spends hours on YouTube learning as much as he can.

I just feel like all the T and A following him around will be a distraction and not to mention you don't wanna have to raise a teenagers kids for em.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    He fishes our neighborhood pond/lake literally almost everyday. He will leave the house in the morning some days and we won’t see him again until dinner time. Spends hours on YouTube learning as much as he can.

BW he sounds like Brandon when he was that age, He spent 100’s of hours on our neighborhood pond. I think he knew the bass by name-lol. I would recommend you and him start fishing some club or local open tournaments together. I didn’t realize at the time how much impact they had on him (me to really). He remembers some of those tournaments like they were yesterday, and I do too. I also realized when he was 13 or so, he had a knack for it and it was because he studied and lived it. He knew all the latest techniques, knots and lures. So I sort of just started tagging along. Over the years him and I won a few and lost a lot but him helping decide where to go and what to do seemed to keep his passion for fishing going. Not sure this helps but just some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter 1200 View Post
    BW he sounds like Brandon when he was that age, He spent 100’s of hours on our neighborhood pond. I think he knew the bass by name-lol. I would recommend you and him start fishing some club or local open tournaments together. I didn’t realize at the time how much impact they had on him (me to really). He remembers some of those tournaments like they were yesterday, and I do too. I also realized when he was 13 or so, he had a knack for it and it was because he studied and lived it. He knew all the latest techniques, knots and lures. So I sort of just started tagging along. Over the years him and I won a few and lost a lot but him helping decide where to go and what to do seemed to keep his passion for fishing going. Not sure this helps but just some insight.
    Sounds just like Trace!

If you can get him in a kayak by himself he could fish the KBF events. They have monthly state challenges where he could fish any public waters in the state and compete for the best five fish. There are also special challenges on Labor Day weekend, Fathers Day weekend, etc. KBF also holds a night tourney the last weekend of each month where he would compete against everyone in the South East region of the country. If he scores a top spot in any of the events he could qualify for the National Championship where he’d have to travel and fish for big money. It has paid out as much as $100,000 a couple of different years.

It would just be a way for him to start out in a competitive format but also give him an opportunity to fish on familiar waters on his schedule just to get his feet wet.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

He needs Catdaddy to tudor him in big lake bass fishing

Hey BW, Ring King is right. And I will sponsor him with a kayak to practice and compete with. A kayak most grown men wish they had. And I’m just in Columbia. Lemme know. Gotta nurture that kind of interest!

I do agree with this. Tony has set up something with our trail that is specifically for that age group. It's not full fledge tournament fishing but it gets them involved at a earlier age. It may be some kind of competitive thing but not the "on the water all day" type tournaments.
    B35w shoot me a text at 843-992-0486 and I'll get you in contact with him
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

PM Otter1200. He knows a guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

i suck at parenting but i would just tell him to go fishing and leave me alone. like cd said, he's 12. congrats on liking fishing. go fish.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Get involved in it with him. I spent almost every weekend growing up fishing a bass tourney with my old man. Mostly club stuff but a few big ones. I fished all over the country and got to meet lots of cool folks. He died in 02 and I haven’t fished one since. Most of my memories of him are us in a bass boat fishing somewhere.