Thread: Grind to fit recoil pad

Default Grind to fit recoil pad

I've decided I'm going to cut down a single shot .410 for my 8yo. I have a 20ga for him but he hasn't quite grown into yet and I can't, don't think I can anyway, nor do I want to cut down the synthetic stock on the 20ga. So back to the drawing board. With the .410 in the cabinet not getting used it's a perfect gun to cut down to size. I was watching some videos on grind to fit recoil pads and these guys are using large belt sanders. Is there a good redneck way to do this without a large belt sander and still make it look decent? This gun was my wifes uncles who gave it to my oldest years ago. This uncle passed away last year so my wife is skeptical of me cutting on it and making it look good.

Find a used farriers rasp, do it carefully by hand . Practice on something first. If you can't find one PM me your address , pay shipping , and I'll send one.

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    Find a used farriers rasp, do it carefully by hand . Practice on something first. If you can't find one PM me your address , pay shipping , and I'll send one.
    Thanks for the tip

I put a couple layers of masking tape on the wood and then used a regular bench grinder to get mine as close as I could. I finished with hand sanding to make it a precise fit.

Cheap handheld belt sander?

I've put mine in a bench vise to get two hands on the work piece.

Keep the gun in original condition and spend $300 and buy him a youth .410 or 20ga. My oldest started with the .410 at 5 and now shoots the same gun in 20ga at 6.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    Keep the gun in original condition and spend $300 and buy him a youth .410 or 20ga. My oldest started with the .410 at 5 and now shoots the same gun in 20ga at 6.
    This. I never cut any down for my girls, they just managed until they were big enough.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 08-27-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    Concur.

I've seen a few kids mount a 20 single shot wrong and pull the trigger.. that right there will be the indicator if they're ready or not. I think I have one laying around that's pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Concur.
    His arms are short. I’ve got two youth guns he can’t shoulder. His LOP is like 10”.

And it's not about the gauge, kick or recoil with this one. This child would shoulder a mule kick. I was going .410 because that's what i have. I believe the 2 youth 20ga I have have a LOP of 12"
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-27-2020 at 07:23 AM.

I've done a few grind to fit pads. Screw it to stock, trace the stock shape onto the underside of the pad with a fine point sharpie. Take off the gun and take it to a regular bench grinder to knock off most of the excess. Fine tune it with a bastard file.

Mossberg youth has 10” LOP

If you put these softer ‘Limbsaver-type’ recoil pads in the freezer for a few hours, or overnight, before you work on them you’ll find they sand much easier and get a better finish.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Limbsaver is the worst pad made. Everyone I have encountered melts or otherwise breaks down.

Kickeez is much better. They have a large selection of prefits too. May be able to find one that doesn't require much if any grinding or sanding.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Not to argue but I've used a couple limbsaver straight replacement (factory fit) models on shotguns and never had a problem with function or melt downs. A couple years back I had one set of limbsaver bow dampeners go bad, melted on a bow, contacted limbsaver via website and they sent me replacements free of charge. Imagine they'd do same with a recoil pad too but can see why someone wouldn't want to risk it. I didn't know it was a problem when I bought those recoil pads years ago.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 09-02-2020 at 07:38 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I've cut down 4 stocks so far on my own guns and have gotten quite good at it. Take a tape measure and have your son put his lower arm in the position it would be in while shooting a shotgun. Measure from the inside of his elbow to the inside of the trigger finger. That's his LOP. Screw what these guys say. If your son's LOP is longer than the shotgun he's being set up to fail. Make that you have fit now, then by a bigger one later.

Adding LOP after cutting it down is easy. For shorter guys like me I've learned that factory shotguns are not made for us. And getting a kid to shoulder a gun that's way too long for him isn't gonna help any.

I have a grinder and a chop saw, and could do the job in a few hours with the right pad. I'm in the lowcountry and head home fyi Sumter Friday. I'd certainly be willing to help unless you just want to do it on your own. But Limbsaver grind to fit is certainly the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

And you can certainly cut down a synthetic stock. Just takes some creativity. on my Remington V3 I inserted a piece of flat aluminum stock to provide something inside the hollow stock to screw the pad to. Got machine screws, marked the holes and tapped thread in it, attached the pad and rolled on.

I can explain over the phone better. Feel free to call me anytime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-03-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Thanks miles. Haven’t made up my mind yet on what I’m doing.

Worse comes to worse, you can always replace a stock. Make it fit now, then add a thicker GTF pad later as he grows. Then if you add the thickest pad and his LOP is longer than that, then eBay the hell out of another stock. I know how aggravating it is trying to line up my eye on a gun that's too long. It just throws everything off. Your arm is uncomfortably extended just to grab a little bit of the forearm, cheek's in a bad spot to line up the barrel with your eye, it just sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]