Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana DIY fly fishing 2021

Default Montana DIY fly fishing 2021

When and where, any other general info appreciated. I have been fly fishing off and on for 30 years so i dont need any one to hold my hand , I just need a general idea of which way to go. Looking at Billings/ Missouri river area. Thanks

Mudminnow is your source.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

i know mudminnow just got back from yellowstone and looked like they had a blast.

Ill be in Montana next week, so ill report back.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

You can’t go wrong with dry fly fishing the Madison river in July around Ennis, MT. I’ve also fished around Gardner on the Yellowstone but that was many many years ago.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Feel free to shoot me a pm. Leaving three weeks from yesterday for my 4th trip to MT
    Carolina Counsel

flew into bozeman 2 years ago and rented an RV and fished Yellastone for 2 weeks and the Beaverhead for 4 days after that..Cruise America was the RV. It was DIY all the way...
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Feel free to shoot me a pm. Leaving three weeks from yesterday for my 4th trip to MT
    Those guys you are going with dont know anything about fishing.

I have just fished around the Southwest corner of montana and Yellowstone NP. IS there a reason you are choosing that area? I really can't think of a better trip than taking an early morning flight to Bozeman, picking up a truck from Hatch Adventures (https://hatchadventures.com/), and exploring the Ruby, Madison,Yellowstone, or the Park for a few days. Lots of rivers to fish in that area.

And hatch trucks are great. Here is a write up i did on our trip with them.The owners also have contacts with guides in the area if you need them. They also rent fishing rafts with trailers. "Go west young family" https://www.twodogoutdoors.com/blog
    Last edited by mudminnow; 08-20-2020 at 01:48 PM.

When: It depends on runoff. Some rivers are unfishable until July. Some Clear up in June. Tailwaters can be fished year round for the most part. If you want to fish a specific way (stoneflies, hoppers, streamers for big browns) there is plenty of information about when hatches or runs happen on the interwebs.

September is a cool time in the park. You can be fishing in short sleeves with hoppers around lunch and by evening it could be snowing. The next morning you are stripping streamers for lake run browns with snow on the ground.

Plenty around west Yellowstone. I’d love to fish the Lamar as well as S fork of snake again.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

And don’t try to order grits or sweet tea.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I fish the creeks coming out the Big Snowies south of Lewistown and do quite well on cutthroats, browns and brook trout. Also you a have spring creek running right thru town with all varieties of trout. Plus the creek goes right under the best bar in town it has clear floor you can enjoy your favorite beverage and watch the trout swim under your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    They'll probably show up with a coffee can full of worms. Red can! Hills Brothers!
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Thanks for the info so far, im taking notes. Spur i know what you mean about no tea and grits, I helped my son pull a u haul across the country to eastern washington state last year, Everytime we stopped to get coffee or food when my country ass started talking they looked at me like where the hell are u from? WE stopped at a coffee bar in montana and when i placed my order the girl behind the counter said where you from.? In my best southern accent i told her i was from sc and my friends call me gator, the look on her face was priceless, when we got back on the road my son told me im going to hell!!

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    I fish the creeks coming out the Big Snowies south of Lewistown and do quite well on cutthroats, browns and brook trout. Also you a have spring creek running right thru town with all varieties of trout. Plus the creek goes right under the best bar in town it has clear floor you can enjoy your favorite beverage and watch the trout swim under your feet.
    Sounds awesome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post

I have just fished around the Southwest corner of montana and Yellowstone NP. IS there a reason you are choosing that area? I really can't think of a better trip than taking an early morning flight to Bozeman, picking up a truck from Hatch Adventures (https://hatchadventures.com/), and exploring the Ruby, Madison,Yellowstone, or the Park for a few days. Lots of rivers to fish in that area.

And hatch trucks are great. Here is a write up i did on our trip with them.The owners also have contacts with guides in the area if you need them. They also rent fishing rafts with trailers. "Go west young family" https://www.twodogoutdoors.com/blog
    you hush your mouth dropping names of my secret spots.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    PM inbound.

Plenty of water to fish in the gallatin valley. You should spend some time around Livingston and Ennis as well.
    Last edited by murraywader; 08-20-2020 at 07:26 PM.

It's not Montana but I just got back from a week in the bighorn mountains in wyoming. About a five hour pack in and had the place to myself. Caught a bunch of trout.

Fished a big trip two years ago with my dad out there. We did 4 days guided and 3 on our own. Awesome trip all around but could have done some more on our own but it was our first time to Yellowstone and wanted to make it count.
    We were East of Livingston and then in Gardiner for the non-guided stuff.

1- Private water freestone creek wading day
    2- Float on Boulder River- Smaller river and got out of boat and waded about half the day
    3- DePuy Spring Creek- Super technical- had a really good hatch and it was the best dry fly fishing I've ever seen
    4- Float on the Yellowstone- First big float we've done. Big hoppers all day on the bank and some big streamers for browns at the end of the day
    5-7- In the park. One day just seeing the park and fishing some easier access places. Fished Slough creek one day and our guide showed us a good hike down to the Yellowstone for the final day. Can give some more info if helpful.