Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forbes- Retire to North Dakota

I prefer to call it khaki

Boondoggle, you were SACuncised. I was 90 miles north at Cavalier, the radar station looking north...

Taxes is all that matters and I don't want to pay them. Tennessee or Wyoming....

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I'm with Mollie!!

I lived in MN for two years. I honeslty dont remember the winters dragging on any more than the summer is right now in SC. You wear a bigger jacket and go do your thing. I also agree that the people are damn nice...and they drink a lot. Granted, that appears to have changed after some of the things I saw on TV in the past month or two.

Either way, I would have no problem living up there. Its wonderful.
    There is only one place in the continental US where anyone would think the winters drag on longer than the summers in the SE, and that is the upper UP of Michigan...and that is only because of the amount of time it takes to melt the insane amount of lake effect snow. Those folks look forward to the snow kicking into high gear because they get out and play hard in it.

Once you spend a little time in an extremely cold environment, cold doesn't seem to cold at all. I'd be running around in shorts and a t-shirt on sunny mid-30 degree days in IN, and it felt great. I know some people who say you acclimate to the heat in the same way, but running around anywhere in 90+ degree weather feels hot and flat out sucks...add the humidity of the SE, slapping mosquitoes while hunting in December, and hoping upon hope that you bring home a limit of woodies...maybe I'll feel different about it when I'm in my late 70's and on blood thinners.

I miss the people (most of them), the cooking, the passion for college football, and the anticipation of a big large-mouth inhaling my buzzbait. That said, the realistic anticipation I have of a 180" or bigger buck walking in every time I'm in a stand; the ability to hunt and kill 6+ species of big game within a 40 minute drive; holding out for something other than the ever-present mallards to round out my daily duck limit; the ability to shoot a limit of doves, sand-hill cranes, and ducks and be home before dark; and only having to endure 30-40 days of 90 degree, dry weather.....well, it eases the sting plenty. The very best part...I'll never encounter any of the left-wing whackadoodles running around protesting and trying to impose their will on the folks around them, as the places I choose to live are not comfortable enough for the woke pussies.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    There is only one place in the continental US where anyone would think the winters drag on longer than the summers in the SE, and that is the upper UP of Michigan...and that is only because of the amount of time it takes to melt the insane amount of lake effect snow. Those folks look forward to the snow kicking into high gear because they get out and play hard in it.

Once you spend a little time in an extremely cold environment, cold doesn't seem to cold at all. I'd be running around in shorts and a t-shirt on sunny mid-30 degree days in IN, and it felt great. I know some people who say you acclimate to the heat in the same way, but running around anywhere in 90+ degree weather feels hot and flat out sucks...add the humidity of the SE, slapping mosquitoes while hunting in December, and hoping upon hope that you bring home a limit of woodies...maybe I'll feel different about it when I'm in my late 70's and on blood thinners.

I miss the people (most of them), the cooking, the passion for college football, and the anticipation of a big large-mouth inhaling my buzzbait. That said, the realistic anticipation I have of a 180" or bigger buck walking in every time I'm in a stand; the ability to hunt and kill 6+ species of big game within a 40 minute drive; holding out for something other than the ever-present mallards to round out my daily duck limit; the ability to shoot a limit of doves, sand-hill cranes, and ducks and be home before dark; and only having to endure 30-40 days of 90 degree, dry weather.....well, it eases the sting plenty. The very best part...I'll never encounter any of the left-wing whackadoodles running around protesting and trying to impose their will on the folks around them, as the places I choose to live are not comfortable enough for the woke pussies.
    Way to rub it in..
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Those mofos can waste a bunch of energy trying to catch a perch
    Better than killing their wives I suppose.

still zero feelings for living there

Imagine living in a place where the only chance you'd smell a coconut the way you should would be in a waterpark

still zero feelings for living there
    Heck no. What we call winter around here is about too long for me.

Imagine living in a place where the only chance you'd smell a coconut the way you should would be in a waterpark
    I made coconut cottontail curry last night.

BTW, the Meateater cookbook is worth it if only for that curry rabbit recipe.

Yankee cookbooks are about as good as a southerners guide to snow shoveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    That should be an SAT question.

Curry doves...

20200821_142603.jpg

Shit was scrumptious

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I hear ya...the SE US is the epicenter of good eats, but I’m not too proud to realize that Yankee-boy Steve is a master at turning what most people throw away into Stags Leap-worthy, slap yo mama goodness.

Curry doves...

20200821_142603.jpg

Shit was scrumptious
    Yup. That is what Im talkin’ bout!