Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump announces "Drill ANWR"

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    California is having rolling blackouts because they can't meet their electric demand. Where, on Earth, literally, are we going to get electricity to replace the 378,000,000 of gasoline used daily by Americans? The nuclear hole in Fairfield County ain't going to provide any of that...
    Rolling blackouts happen in TX too. Actually a lot of places. The problem is utilities are moving away from base load plants (coal and Nuke) and have gone to renewable for daytime and and windy conditions for the base load and combined cycle natural gas power plants for the peaking. The problem is the renewable energy can cut off almost instantly...it gets cloudy or the wind stops. The old NG combine cycle plants can take up to an hour to start producing electricity. The newer high ramp rate power plants can be producing electricity in 20 minutes. Either way, there's a lag in when renewables cut out and NGCC's come on line. If it's not timed right, you'll have a brown out, or rolling blackout. This will only get worse all over the USA as major utilities invest more and more into renewables. Not that they are a bad thing, but you still need to keep the grid fed with a strong base load...be it coal, gas or Nuke. Take too much of that off line and you'll get these brown outs. That being said, they are making leaps and bounds in battery storage and they are on the brinks of having a reliable and economical way of storing renewable energy in battery form. Once this is scaled, the rolling blackouts will stop as the batteries will pick up where the wind stops or it gets cloudy and buy enough time for the NGCC's to come on line.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Rolling blackouts happen in TX too. Actually a lot of places. The problem is utilities are moving away from base load plants (coal and Nuke) and have gone to renewable for daytime and and windy conditions for the base load and combined cycle natural gas power plants for the peaking. The problem is the renewable energy can cut off almost instantly...it gets cloudy or the wind stops. The old NG combine cycle plants can take up to an hour to start producing electricity. The newer high ramp rate power plants can be producing electricity in 20 minutes. Either way, there's a lag in when renewables cut out and NGCC's come on line. If it's not timed right, you'll have a brown out, or rolling blackout. This will only get worse all over the USA as major utilities invest more and more into renewables. Not that they are a bad thing, but you still need to keep the grid fed with a strong base load...be it coal, gas or Nuke. Take too much of that off line and you'll get these brown outs. That being said, they are making leaps and bounds in battery storage and they are on the brinks of having a reliable and economical way of storing renewable energy in battery form. Once this is scaled, the rolling blackouts will stop as the batteries will pick up where the wind stops or it gets cloudy and buy enough time for the NGCC's to come on line.
    Batteries will never, ever stop the rolling blackouts - not even close...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I don't love America enough to work for free and sacrifice time with my family to have a target on my back and face constant resistance from the sleeziest people in history.

But guess who does.

Batteries will never, ever stop the rolling blackouts - not even close...
    I will preface my statement by saying I agree with JAB. Nukes are the answer. We will never get away from some sort of power plant base load. We need the mega plants feeding the grid, but in these remote locations where the rolling blackouts are happening, I do believe battery storage will help...eventually. We aren't there yet and I don't agree with the amount of money being thrown at it, but it's coming. If not, every major utility in the US and the private sector wouldn't be throwing all the money at it.

If not, every major utility in the US and the private sector wouldn't be throwing all the money at it.
    Well, that just isn't true . People are profiteering off of it. "They" wouldn't have been throwing good money after bad at Jenkinsville in a perfect world either. They were doing it to become personally wealthy. Making their families generationally wealthy. The good of the consumer? Didn't even enter into it...

I will preface my statement by saying I agree with JAB. Nukes are the answer. We will never get away from some sort of power plant base load. We need the mega plants feeding the grid, but in these remote locations where the rolling blackouts are happening, I do believe battery storage will help...eventually. We aren't there yet and I don't agree with the amount of money being thrown at it, but it's coming. If not, every major utility in the US and the private sector wouldn't be throwing all the money at it.
    Think about how much battery it takes to run your trolling motor for a couple of hours - then try to get it to run you AC for that long...

If batteries and renewables were the answer, that fella in the wingsuit would have a little propeller on his helmet, a solar panel on his ass, and could fly forever...

If not, every major utility in the US and the private sector wouldn't be throwing all the money at it.
    Ah, grasshopper. Have you every heard the terms "Rate of Return" and "Rate Base Asset"? I would explain it in detail but it's what I do for a living so I'll keep it to myself...maybe you can find me on CSPAN explaining it to congress...

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I don't love America enough to work for free and sacrifice time with my family to have a target on my back and face constant resistance from the sleeziest people in history.

But guess who does.
    if you say "kevin", I'm gonna punch you
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

California is having rolling blackouts because they can't meet their electric demand. Where, on Earth, literally, are we going to get electricity to replace the 378,000,000 of gasoline used daily by Americans? The nuclear hole in Fairfield County ain't going to provide any of that...

I agree, a little. I don't understand why Trump picked this up now but his political instincts are usually spot-on. I certainly felt the same way when he chided Sen. McCain but it might have even helped him. Karen and Kevin were never going to vote for Trump anyway.

Solar power Amigo. It will jump by leaps and bounds in the next 30 yrs or so. My ass will probably be gone by then but it will happen

Just wish I would be around to see the Sand Yahoo’s walking around in that damn desert suffering since they are too stupid to invest oil money in their future workers instead of supporting terrorist organizations

But guess who does.
    WELL, WERE WAITING. Cue the movie
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

But guess who does.

If you don't think he is positioning himself for a bigger payout later you're kidding yourself. Plus, he's also setting up his family as well...and most of his expenses are likely paid anyway.

Ever met a high profile politician (let alone a President) that didn't come out better than when they went in?

Plus, it feeds his ego, which is bigly.

It was in his platform. He did what he was elected to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    If you don't think he is positioning himself for a bigger payout later you're kidding yourself. Plus, he's also setting up his family as well...and most of his expenses are likely paid anyway.

Ever met a high profile politician (let alone a President) that didn't come out better than when they went in?

Plus, it feeds his ego, which is bigly.
    Your emotions beliefs are disproved...

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...in%20the%20U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    It was in his platform. He did what he was elected to do.
    Yep.

Pfft... he’s thinking of Clinton’s and Obama’s. Laughable the thought that trumps in it for $.

And you fellas worried about Alaska. Look in your back yard at the solar farm deserts popping up. Thank you Obama.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Pfft... he’s thinking of Clinton’s and Obama’s. Laughable the thought that trumps in it for $.

And you fellas worried about Alaska. Look in your back yard at the solar farm deserts popping up. Thank you Obama.
    Yep the solar deals are ecological disasters in the making.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Solar power Amigo. It will jump by leaps and bounds in the next 30 yrs or so.
    Remember when you could go to the store and buy a nice red gas can that worked? Then, the idiots got involved and our gas cans are now nearly useless pieces of shit?

That is what solar will get you.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Remember when you could go to the store and buy a nice red gas can that worked? Then, the idiots got involved and our gas cans are now nearly useless pieces of sh..
    Yeah, what's up with that? My last two were eaten by squirrels while they had gas in them...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Remember when you could go to the store and buy a nice red gas can that worked? Then, the idiots got involved and our gas cans are now nearly useless pieces of shit?

Yep. Now you have to pay $30 for a "racing" can that actually empties within ten minutes.

Think about how much battery it takes to run your trolling motor for a couple of hours - then try to get it to run you AC for that long...
    Ah, grasshopper. Have you every heard the terms "Rate of Return" and "Rate Base Asset"? I would explain it in detail but it's what I do for a living so I'll keep it to myself...maybe you can find me on CSPAN explaining it to congress...
    I get it. I make my living in the power industry as well. As far as battery storage goes, I think they are on to something. They already make batteries the size of TV's that can run your entire house. Eventually this will scale. And yes, people are lining their pockets left and right with this.

There are currently well over 1000 solar projects under construction or have a high probably of moving forward just in the USA alone...valued at over $106B. This is only solar. It doesn't include all the Wind farm investments off the mid-atlantic coast. For that kind of money I can only hope it works.