Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump announces "Drill ANWR"

Default Trump announces "Drill ANWR"

Trump administration announces plans to drill in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Gregory Wallace Profile
    By Gregory Wallace and Chandelis Duster, CNN

Updated 1:48 PM ET, Mon August 17, 2020

Interior Secretary David Bernhardt on Monday announced plans for an oil and gas leasing program in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, clearing the way for drilling in the remote Alaskan area.

Bernhardt said future leases of the federally-owned land will make the entire 1.5 million acre Coastal Plain area available.
    Bernhardt said the announcement "marks a new chapter in American energy independence" and predicted it could "create thousands of new jobs."

Drilling in these controversial areas of the Alaskan arctic has long been controversial and the plans are certain to be met with legal challenges.

Environmental activists have sounded the alarm that drilling the Arctic could harm the environment and exacerbate the climate crisis. Climate change has been a key issue in the upcoming 2020 election, and Joe Biden, who is set to accept the Democratic presidential nomination this week, has called for a ban on new oil and gas permits on public lands.

When asked on the call Monday whether he pressured because of a potential Biden administration being less interested in moving forward, Bernhardt said he was "not really driven by the political dynamics."

"Congress has mandated these lease sales so they have to go forward in some regard," Bernhardt said. "They can't simply unduly delay."

A 2017 law required the department to hold two lease sales in the refuge by 2024. A date for those sales has not yet been set, Bernhardt said on a call with reporters Monday, adding "I do believe that there could be a lease sale by the end of the year."

"It requires an oil and gas development program that delivers energy to the nation and revenue to the Treasury," he said. "The law makes oil and gas development one of the purposes of the refuge, clearly directing me, acting through the Bureau of Land Management, to carry out a competitive exploration and development program for the potentially energy rich coastal plain."

The Wall Street Journal first reported on the plans.
    Republican Alaskan lawmakers, Sens. Dan Sullivan and Lisa Murkowski and Rep. Don Young, praised the decision.

"This is a capstone moment in our decades-long push to allow for the responsible development of a small part of Alaska's 1002 Area," Murkowski said in a statement Monday. "Through this program, we will build on our already-strong record of an increasingly minimal footprint for responsible resource development."

Gina McCarthy, a former Environmental Protection Agency administrator under former President Barack Obama and current president and CEO of the Natural Resources Defense Council, called the decision an "egregious intrusion into the sacred lands of the Gwich'in and other Indigenous People" and a threat to US wildlife.
    Garrett Rose, staff attorney for the Alaska Project Nature Program for NRDC, told CNN Monday the organization plans to challenge the decision.

Oil supply outstripping storage capacity. Oil prices in the shitter.

Brilliant strategy. If your strategy is to piss off fence riding voters...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Oil supply outstripping storage capacity. Oil prices in the shitter.

Brilliant strategy. If your strategy is to piss off fence riding voters...
    Yea this could have waited.

Two words: Free. Market.

Why not take the regulations and throw them away?

Isn't this one of his campaign promises?

This is one that I'm not going to be mad about. Total energy independence from those towel head motherfuckers is a game I'm all about cheering for.

If it doesn't make fiscal sense, I'm sure the market will take care of itself.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

two more words
    dumb ass
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That's not very nice.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

She's thinking about her college basketball days.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    two more words
    dumb ass
    Dumbass, is one word.

#Trump2020
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    #Trump2020
    Yep
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    She's thinking about her college basketball days.
    I didn’t know 2th played college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Dumbass, is one word.
    i made it two. pay attention
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Energy independence is never a “dumbass” idea.

If energy prices are low, so is equipment, infrastructure and labor. It’s a buyers market.

That oil won’t hit the market for a while. No time like the present to invest in America.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    We are energy independent now. How do you think losing the election might change that when Harris starts banning everything from offshore drilling to fracking?

Chess? Shit this isn't even Chutes and Ladders...

Did anybody on SCDUCKS actually vote for this?

[
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post

If energy prices are low, so is equipment, infrastructure and labor. It’s a buyers market.

That oil won’t hit the market for a while. No time like the present to invest in America.

As much as I dislike DJT, yes I WILL VOTE FOR HIM, I will agree with this . Hate to see land like this disturbed but they been drilling up there for years and no issues

Flip side is the oil industry is more than nervous for long term, alternative energy sources are the future whether we like it not.

30-40 yrs from now vehicles will be pretty much fully autonomous and electric

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Hate to see land like this disturbed
    That shouldn't enter in. That land is made for drilling and is a rich, rich find. We just don't need it now and it isn't like a Federal Judge won't block it immediately and tie it up in court for a year or more. We need to not lose voters for this election because Karen and Kevin read that "Trump is drilling Wildlife Refuges". Win in 76 days and then issue all the Public land drill projects you like as far as I am concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Flip side is the oil industry is more than nervous for long term, alternative energy sources are the future whether we like it not.

30-40 yrs from now vehicles will be pretty much fully autonomous and electric
    California is having rolling blackouts because they can't meet their electric demand. Where, on Earth, literally, are we going to get electricity to replace the 378,000,000 of gasoline used daily by Americans? The nuclear hole in Fairfield County ain't going to provide any of that...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That shouldn't enter in. That land is made for drilling and is a rich, rich find. We just don't need it now and it isn't like a Federal Judge won't block it immediately and tie it up in court for a year or more. We need to not lose voters for this election because Karen and Kevin read that "Trump is drilling Wildlife Refuges". Win in 76 days and then issue all the Public land drill projects you like as far as I am concerned...
    I agree, a little. I don't understand why Trump picked this up now but his political instincts are usually spot-on. I certainly felt the same way when he chided Sen. McCain but it might have even helped him. Karen and Kevin were never going to vote for Trump anyway.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Maybe if they hadn't have wasted $100 billion on "renewable" energy boondoggles like wind and solar, they could have some nice air conditioning on a hot August day.

Nuclear is the answer in a sane world. In a world besieged by massive greed/fraud on one side and rainbows/unicorns on the other, I don't know...