Thread: Circle K heading cashierless

Default Circle K heading cashierless

Cashierless Checkout Is Coming To Convenience Stores, As Circle K Inks Partnership With Standard Cognition

Kenrick CaiForbes Staff

Grab your items and leave the store without going to the cashier. That’s the idea behind Standard Cognition, a startup using artificial intelligence to create an autonomous checkout experience. Now, it’s taken the next step in getting that technology into the stores where people shop.

On Tuesday, The San Francisco startup announced a new partnership with Alimentation Couche-Tard, the parent of Circle K among other retail chains, to install its checkout system in convenience stores, beginning with a pilot in Phoenix. The stores will be retrofitted with the technology, meaning that no redesign of the store is necessary, one way Standard Cognition is attempting to differentiate itself from deep-pocketed competitor Amazon Go. The partnership will start at “a number of stores in the Phoenix area,” says Magnus Tagtstrom, head of digital innovation at Couche-Tard, with the first autonomous checkout-equipped Circle K going live early next year.

If the pilot goes well, more retail stores could be encouraged to adopt the AI-powered technology, starting with convenience stores like Circle K. Laval, Canada-headquartered Couche-Tard is the fifth largest convenience store operator globally, according to a Deloitte report. “This is testing with shoppers: What if this was the New Circle K experience?” Tagtstrom says.

quote:
    Customers will be able to try out autonomous checkout by checking into the store on a phone app (they can use either the Circle K app or Standard Cognition’s own app, Fisher says). When the customer walks out of the store, the app will process the transaction. Shoppers who don’t want to pay through the app can still save time. The artificial intelligence tracks everything picked up by a customer, regardless of whether they use the app, and feeds the data to the cashier, eliminating the time needed to scan each item.

During the coronavirus pandemic, an autonomous checkout solution provides the obvious added value of avoiding the transmission vectors that come from interacting with the cashier or standing in line. That comes on top of the technology’s baseline potential—to make convenience stores more convenient. “Let’s have our cake and eat it too: get the Snickers bar immediately, and don’t have to wait five minutes in line to pay for it,” Fisher says. “It’s kind of the best of both worlds.”
    https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampprojec...-circle-k/amp/

Sounds like free shit to me.

Sounds good. I have long wondered why the tech isn't there to scan my card when I pick up my shopping cart, and again when I am leaving a store, charging me for whatever I have in the cart.

Another bonus- Hopefully this will lead the state lottery to go 100% state owned self serve distribution hubs. Running it through convenience stores just pisses away money and slows down productive people trying to go about their business...

How am I going to get my dip?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Sounds like a pain in the neck, all to eliminate a job. I mean, you're not getting the best and brightest on those jobs, but someone out there would probably be thankful to have that job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Parker’s does this and its an absolute pain in the ass to get beer or dip.

Literally have to wait for someone to come to you to check it out.

Finding good honest employees is the most difficult part of owning a business these days. I pay my tech's between 65 and 80K a year and still have to look for 2 months to find someone that will work. If I could automate my staff and still get work accomplished I would do it tomorrow. All you read about is how bad the unemployment is in this country, I have a dozen friends that own businesses and they are all looking for reliable help.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Parker’s does this and its an absolute pain in the ass to get beer or dip.

Literally have to wait for someone to come to you to check it out.
    Bless your heart, buy it in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Bless your heart, buy it in bulk.
    I only go there when it’s an emergency. Found a store in Summerville that has grizzly for $13 a log.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I only go there when it’s an emergency. Found a store in Summerville that has grizzly for $13 a log.
    Old trolly road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk