Thread: Zone 2

Default Zone 2

Buddy got drawn in zone 2. Asked me to join. None of us know anything about the waterways there. Any pointers, tips, etc? If I go, we’ll be 3 deep in my 15’ Havoc. I’d really like to avoid the salt as much as possible, but if we can go get a big one, we’ll do what we have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Where’s zone 2??

Middle coastal, whatever they call it. Lower lake down to charleston. Charleston, Berkeley, and Beaufort counties I think

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    Middle coastal, whatever they call it. Lower lake down to charleston. Charleston, Berkeley, and Beaufort counties I think

You might want to get a state map.

Sorry. Dorchester not Beaufort. Not from that part of the state and don’t frequent it often

I know where some are in the Charleston area. Cooper River

Should be plenty of big ones in the lower lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

There are plenty of gators in the Cooper. Ride around at low tide & check the creeks out. I know of a few studs

Coastal river gators are different than their lake cousins- like fish-they are stronger from swimming against the current, seem to have better endurance(don't quit as easy)- can sit on the bottom in 30' of water while you fight a river current( spot lock really helps) and if they get by the marsh love to burrow through the grass and roll up until they pull loose.

Find a gator in Moultrie that hangs around a shallow area and get it first morning when the sun rises- everything is easier in the daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Coastal river gators are different than their lake cousins- like fish-they are stronger from swimming against the current, seem to have better endurance(don't quit as easy)- can sit on the bottom in 30' of water while you fight a river current( spot lock really helps) and if they get by the marsh love to burrow through the grass and roll up until they pull loose.

Find a gator in Moultrie that hangs around a shallow area and get it first morning when the sun rises- everything is easier in the daylight.
    Couldn't agree more. We had one that hung up on the bottom of the river for almost 4hrs. That shit was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

That’s why we would go 2hrs before low water. Keep the water out the grass & the current is calming down. We had good success. Also during the day. It’s easy

Well, we didn't completely strike out. Didn't bring a gator home, but learned a lot, and got hooks in a few nice gators. We learned real fast we did not have the right gear. Watched a 10+ strip the gears out of a reel I was holding, and then a 11+ bust 200lb braid. What a rush it is to fight a creature that size on a fishing pole, though. Ready to go back