Thread: What is best rifle for deer hunting recommend?

Default What is best rifle for deer hunting recommend?

Im in the market for a new deer rifle. My budget is anything less than $800. Was looking at the Tikka T3x lite in 6.5 creed and the Savage Storm 6.5. I'm looking for something very accurate and dependable. Just wanting recommendations

IMO in South Carolina the caliber doesn't much matter. I mainly use a 6.5 grendel, but occasionally use a 25.06, 30-30, 25-06, and .270. My main rifle for years before I joined the service was .270. I killed over 100 deer with that gun.

I'm an idiot and now see you mean brand. I own quite a few but savage is by far my favorite. My abolt would be a close 2nd

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by duckcommander727; 09-20-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I recently bought 2 different Savage 6.5 CR rifles-one was a gift the other for one of my grandsons, both package guns with cheap scopes- both shoot sub moa at 100 yds with factory Hornady American Whitetail- if you want an accurate rifle/cartridge combo- Savage 6.5cm would be a great start
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 09-20-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Tikka T3X Superlite is hard to beat for the money. Accurate and reliable.

Bergara and Savage would also be great options in that price range.

I like 7mm-08 as it packs plenty of punch, but a light recoiler.

For under $800 get a ruger American and some glass to go with it

I’m going to second the .270

Not to hijack your thread but, I’ve been shopping for a cheaper7mm-08 for my son and I to shoot. Haven’t made my mind up yet toying with the idea of the Ruger Predator since it has a threaded barrel from the factory. Do any of you have any experience with these rifles? A can and a lead sled out of the shooting house may end up hurting the local deer herd numbers. God knows this boy of mine is mad at a em.

I know he’s going to end up with a xbolt in 25-06 by the end of this year, but I may hold onto that one a couple of years. Lol

I hunt out west a lot so I’m into the lightweight carbon barrel rifles, but they cost a lot of coin. Yes they are 1/2” MOA guns which matters taking 400+ yard shots. I decided to buy a cheap rifle for hunting around the house because it will live in my truck while I’m around here and didn’t want to get an $8000 set up stolen. So I decided to buy a cheap Ruger American Ranch rifle which is around $400. When I went to set it up it literally blew my mind how accurate it was. It shot 1/2” groups. A lot of the rifles available on the shelf today are more capable than the shooter. Proper glass and mounting of the rings and glass matter more than the selection of rifle IMO. Buy whichever rifle YOU want and make sure the bases, rings and scope are mounted properly (torqued/leveled). Just my .02.

I love my tikka. It’s a shooter for sure. Haven’t shot the savage you mentioned but other savage rifles shoot great that I‘ve shot. I don’t care for the their sloppy bolts. Either will be more accurate than most shooters. Spend the money on glass and rings.

I don’t own one but have read good things about the Bergara guns. I owned a Savage and didn’t really care for it. I love my Brownings X bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I recently bought 2 different Savage 6.5 CR rifles-one was a gift the other for one of my grandsons, both package guns with cheap scopes- both shoot sub moa at 100 yds with factory Hornady American Whitetail- if you want an accurate rifle/cartridge combo- Savage 6.5cm would be a great start
    I second this, bought a Savage Axis II 6.5 with heavy barrel, and with the American Whitetail Ammo, it has been a blast for my sons!

For $800 buy the ruger American ranch and put a Leupold 3i on it and kill shit.

Tikka or Begara would be my choices

Tikka. Can’t recommend a Bergara as I’ve never had one. Savage is a great shooting gun but I can’t stand those sloppy actions.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Can’t go wrong with a Tikka if you’re buying a new production gun. Although I think the Ruger American rifles are great for the money, though not as “nice”.

I’m partial to 7mm-08.

6.5 is ghey. Unless it is 6.5x55.
    Last edited by billyjack; 09-20-2020 at 05:14 PM.