Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine Grouse

https://greysoutfitting.com/

if you get stuck for good information, check this guy on FB...hell I would pay to have him guide me
    At least I'm housebroken.

Additionally, the #7.5s I shoot in the first barrel are for Woodcock .. get quite a few opportunities at Timberdoodles on the hunt. I never developed a taste for them , but for sporty shooting, they are.

When I was young, the hunts up there were a feast for the ears. Drumming of Grouse and the " peenting" sound of Woodcock were quite foreign for a Southern man. Both birds are fun to hunt and provide some different shot angles and challenges.

My Dad was a really good wing shooter, and he just killed everything with boring regularity. We also tied in Black Duck hunts on these trips and most any low area with water held them.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Booked a cabin today, headed to Maine around the 20th and hunting for 4 days. Should be a good trip whether I kill a ton or not.

Have fun! We’ll be up there the 18th-24th. I just hope I have the opportunity at a limit each day.

Good luck. Hope yall have a great trip.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Grouse hunters are a realistic lot in that they measure success by flushes and not dead birds.

Some challenging shooting for sure. Cyclic bird populations also come into play. Yall enjoy the trip. I'm hoping to head West this fall.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

To a greater degree, for me, grouse hunting is about the dog work..y'all enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    To a greater degree, for me, grouse hunting is about the dog work..y'all enjoy!!
    Agree, hence my flush count comment. Some days you won't even see a bird, but can hear a flush.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I knowed what you was sayin, Nitro..and to think some folks hunt grouse without a dog..

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    I knowed what you was sayin, Nitro..and to think some folks hunt grouse without a dog..
    I would not bother if I did not have dogs. The dogs are the main reason to be there. Bird contacts for them that are too few and far between in the Southern Appalachians. I look at it with the perspective of 1 Grouse Flush in NC = 1 Covey of Wild Birds in SC.

The days of a bloody tail tip are about gone for most...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

One of the best pieces of pure marketing drivel to attract new hunters to grouse hunting, not that anyone really wants that, is the having a good dog. The bird dog is the ambassador to the sport or some thing like that.

I got back late last night from Maine. I took my 7 year old and father in law along with my GSP. The dog did ok, did well the first day, but I guess the temptation of a running grouse was too much and he wasn’t steady towards the end of the trip. I lost count on the number of flushes, probably around 15-20. Everyone who said the shooting was tough did not lie, hardest shooting I’ve encountered. They liked to flush in thick stuff, and fly into even thicker areas. We did kill a few though. Unfortunately we missed the woodcock migration by a week or two according to locals, didn’t see a single one. I walked around 30 miles, would have been more but my FIL doesn’t get around, or shoot, too well.

Aside from the hunting, we saw plenty of moose and turkeys, as well as a calico doe. I’ll definitely be back now that I got rid of some of the learning curve. It’s a dirt cheap trip that is pretty fun.

A8BBCC4B-A952-4A36-977F-22C20ABFC17C.jpg

View from cabin

EB2A9ACE-7CC1-4166-8072-BC5CCC468FFE.jpg

BDC0491E-F9CC-477A-8AEB-5A8055EFB105.jpg

7E969C42-7BAD-4FF2-93FD-0DCB4A4361E9.jpg

5E6B39BA-2F9D-45C9-8793-DB843D43EB44.jpg

3609331C-C3E0-47B0-8BDA-07CBBF12D344.jpg

3609331C-C3E0-47B0-8BDA-07CBBF12D344.jpg

4BB3352B-0BEB-4625-965C-1012B5646FFB.jpg

Looks and sounds like a good time!

Awesome ! Need a copilot next year, put me on the list please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Love to put my draht on some. Ive got a buddy in the UP. When he gets settled im going to go visit and shoot some “partridge” as they call em
    Last edited by Phone Man; 10-26-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Been looking forward to your report. Pretty part of the world...

Good stuff Jacob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Very nice. I will go shoot the “king of the woods” one day.

How did the birds behave? I saw you mentioned running, did they all like to run on you or just a few troubled ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14