Thread: Optics for Savage Rascal .22

Default Optics for Savage Rascal .22

I’ve got a savage rascal .22 for my two kids. They love shooting it and understand he concept of iron sights. They shoot it ok, but I think they would enjoy it more with some sort of sight. I’m clueless about this sort of stuff. Should I go red dot? Any recommendations are appreciated

I'll pull my kids out of the safe and see what I put on it. Think it's a cheap ebay special 2x7 or something, about the size of a toilet paper roll but it does all he needs it to do out to 50 yards. Killed his first squirrel with it.
    every expert was once a beginner

I’d consider a fixed power, maybe 4x. I have a Leupold 4x. No complaints.

Primary Arms has a fixed 6x with a nifty reticle with some interesting ranging methods that looks like it would be fun for kids (and adults, because who doesn’t love shooting a .22).

If it isn’t too long, Vortex has a variable rimfire scope that goes up to 7x I think. Havenmt tried it though.

For the Rascal, don’t buy a largish/longer scope. In my experience, the mount they sell for it doesn’t allow for a lot of scope adjustment. I tried to put a Nikon rimfire on my son’s and it was too long for a comfortable eye relief/cheek weld.

A red dot would be simple and effective. But I don’t personally feel like they improve shooting skills like irons or a traditional optic would. Most come with larger dots that for me, obscure smaller targets. But they’d pretty much hit everything they aimed at with a red dot.
    Last edited by billyjack; 08-11-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    I'll pull my kids out of the safe and see what I put on it.
    How long have they been in there?

I'd look for a scope specifically made for a .22 because the parallax is usually optimized for 50 yards instead of 100.

This one may be a bit big for a Rascal but it looks like it would be cool.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-22lr-reticle

I put a 4x32 simmons 22 mag from the walmarts on my little girls savage when she was 6, now she is deadly with that thing at 9. She likes to shoot the little cutie oranges at 75 yrds to watch them splatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    How long have they been in there?

I'd look for a scope specifically made for a .22 because the parallax is usually optimized for 50 yards instead of 100.
    Oops! Does it help that I run a dehumidifier on the safe? Meant to say pulls the kids gun out of the safe. Here is his rascal will put hands on the gun tomorrow. 20181111_165750.jpg
    every expert was once a beginner

This is what's on my kids Crickett

https://www.amazon.com/Keystone-KSA0.../dp/B0016SENYY

Awesome. Thanks everyone

Got a Rascal target xp with a 3x9x40 at 5 my daughter was deadly at 50yds now we shoot tree rats 80-100yds with it. Bad ass little rifle for sure
    If You Bait them They Will Come!