Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Boats

Default Hybrid Boats

I'm not in the immediate market but starting to do some research.

I had a 24 KW offshore that I didn't use much mainly because it was a pain for me to load, keep and clean by myself for a few hours use. Sold it and purchased a 19' KW dual console. Love the boat. Very fishable for me and two of the boys. 4-5 is a crowd unless I can find a way to confine them to the front of the boat. I like the dual console. Very family friendly, even looked at going to a bigger one. Then I saw a boat the other day that may seems to be more versatile...meaning very family friendly but also pretty fishable for inshore, lake, nearshore type boat. The Pioneer Bay Sport 220 has caught my eye. Who else makes a hybrid, deep side bay with fishing decks that I could look at for comparable's?

Don't care about tiers at this point. Just researching...

The one you want is an Everglades 223 or 243. The biggest gripe for me with bay boats and young families is that you sit "ON" the boat rather than "IN" the boat. That's the reason I have kept this little CC as my inshore rig instead of going back to a flats/bay style hybrid. The EG has a dropped deck up front. Another one on my short list was the AC Coastal Bay series....2110 is a solid little platform for around here.

ETA: If budget allows, the Robalo Cayman is a really nice rig....just too new to find some decently priced rigs on the used market, but much more up to date and user friendly than the EG223/243 lineup.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 08-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.

That 243 is on my short list when the time comes.

And you can't go wrong with a Pioneer. Solid, well-built boats, made by locals to boot.

A buddy just bought a Robalo 226 Cayman a few weeks ago. Nice boat with plenty of room and storage. Nice fit/finish. The helm on the right side of the console feels a bit odd but I guess you'd get used to it. Good lake/bay/creek boat.

Well dang I came here looking for some plywood sneak boats to kill ducks out of.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Dibs on the current boat
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

That pioneer And the Everglades are kind of in a league of their own In that size with those models. I wouldn’t hesitate to own another pioneer, had a 197 and it treated my family good.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 08-06-2020 at 08:05 PM.

I have a Nauticstar 20XS hybrid. Fish and family friendly. I need to sell it but don’t want to. We use the pontoon 99% of the time. 2013 with a 2013 Yamaha 150. Seafoam and has trailer. Lowrance HDS7. Trim Tabs, ttop, wet sounds.
    Bah! Humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    That pioneer And the Everglades are kind of in a league of their own In that size with those models. I wouldn’t hesitate to own another pioneer, had a 197 and it treated my family good.
    Owner still loves it too! Buddy went out with him the other day and called me while riding down the Savannah river telling me how much he liked it.

Just got rid of an Everglades 223 after 4 years and 500 hrs. Amazing boat and would own another. Moved up to a Crevalle 26 bay and so far no regrets. Also a bad ass boat. I have a buddy with the Pioneer bay sport and that's a great boat. You are more on that boat than the Everglades. Something to keep in mind

The Everglades 243 and 253 really have my eye for the next boat. Add Regulator XO and Yellowfin Hybrid to the list, but definitely not cheap. I've basically come to the conclusion that I need a 30' CC and a 17' skiff.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    The one you want is an Everglades 223 or 243. The biggest gripe for me with bay boats and young families is that you sit "ON" the boat rather than "IN" the boat. That's the reason I have kept this little CC as my inshore rig instead of going back to a flats/bay style hybrid. The EG has a dropped deck up front. Another one on my short list was the AC Coastal Bay series....2110 is a solid little platform for around here.

ETA: If budget allows, the Robalo Cayman is a really nice rig....just too new to find some decently priced rigs on the used market, but much more up to date and user friendly than the EG223/243 lineup.
    agree with the ride on vs ride in. When was the last year of the 223? Quick search makes me think that will be a unicorn.
    Last edited by reeltight; 08-07-2020 at 08:18 AM.

I have the 22 Pioneer Baysport and have had it ten years. It is a great boat. Have taken it 60 miles offshore and great with the family in a small creek. Well made, no issues.

If you want to get real fancy I really liked the regulator and yellowtail hybrids.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Cant Say enough good things about my 24' Sea Ox. Brian builds a great boat. Check them out. https://pairmarine.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mwolfe22 View Post
    Cant Say enough good things about my 24' Sea Ox. Brian builds a great boat. Check them out. https://pairmarine.com/
    They are nice rigs, shame they had to change the name thanks to the dickheads at Seafox.

Quote Originally Posted by mwolfe22 View Post
    That boat is on my short list...
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    If you want to get real fancy I really liked the regulator and yellowtail hybrids.
    That Reg is fire. SeaVee's got one too that's equally awesome.

I loved my Sea Hunt BX22BR. Great boat. I hated the Yamaha I4 200hp motor. I got rid of the whole rig because of the motor. The boat was amazing.

The Pioneer all day over the Robalo. Robalos have wood. And I dont mean marine plywood. I mean 2x4 material. Robalo is built by a pleasure boat company and the engineering shows it. To get to the bilge or batteries you have to remove an array of heavy hard bottom cushions then a jigsaw puzzle of cover boards. For a guy just wanting to look salty on a lake they are probably fine. I wouldn't rely on one in a pure salt enviroment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.