Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Health Insurance

Family of 6 here and self employed for years. We use a broker and our insurance has gotten cheaper every year. We buy one plan for hospital coverage and one plan for other stuff. Other than children breaking bones and needing stitches we do normal checkups. We do not have dental or vision and have no plan for more children and we don’t need maternity. 2020 we are paying $650/month which is down from $24,000/year for years 2016-2017. Paid $18,000/year for 2018 and $8,000/year for 2019. I will say the previous federal administration ripped us a new one. The current administration allows me to enjoy life.

I’m under my wife’s policy now, but had to have my own before she switched employers. For just my son and I we were around $800/month if I remember right. It sucked.

We have a pretty good policy through my wife’s current employer, but it’s not a cheap year for medical bills in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    Family of 6 here and self employed for years. We use a broker and our insurance has gotten cheaper every year. We buy one plan for hospital coverage and one plan for other stuff. Other than children breaking bones and needing stitches we do normal checkups. We do not have dental or vision and have no plan for more children and we don’t need maternity. 2020 we are paying $650/month which is down from $24,000/year for years 2016-2017. Paid $18,000/year for 2018 and $8,000/year for 2019. I will say the previous federal administration ripped us a new one. The current administration allows me to enjoy life.

Let me ask you this question, say ALL of y’all are in a car wreck and end up in hospital. How much would that cost you

This is one draw back with high deductible is that they are normally per person and not per family. I actually have a very old BCBS plan that was a “family plan”. $4500 max out of pocket whether it was 1 or 3 of us, BCBS would not put wife on it due to diabetes. That was great when me and my 2 kids were on it When daughter got married it dropped to single plan with $2250 Really can not complain with this plan but just have not clue how high it is going . I am 57 1/2 yrs old it is 989.00 month (wife has BCBS Silver plan and is $1130 month but covers all her diabetic stuff with very small co pays )

In all honesty what we pay is not out of the ballpark, clients are shocked when I show them that box (DD) on their W2 and how much the insurance costs their employer

Just asking, have SE clients looking for other options , this includes most Preachers since they are SE.
    Last edited by tprice; 08-10-2020 at 07:21 PM.