Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: To My Georgetown Peeps...

Default To My Georgetown Peeps...

Wife and I are considering purchasing a second home in the G'town area. Preliminary searches give me the impression that the real estate market there isn't as stirred-up as every where else, and that it's actually possible to find a good deal.

What do y'all like/dislike about Georgetown, and/or are there any factors we should be aware of? Any specific area(s) we should check out? As usual, thanks for your feedback.

Depends on what you plan to use the house for and your budget. There are some great condos at Belle Isle on the market right now that come with Belle Isle Marina and there’s also a pool and small restaurant down there. If you’re looking for a house close to front street there are several great houses on the market downtown and in willowbank(a short gold cart ride to front street). Georgetown is a great place to live. I was born and raised there and now live away but I am home almost every weekend. The restaurant scene on Front Street is really taken off. The Big Tuna is my second home....food sucks but the beer is cold and the bullshit is thick. Fishing in the area is pretty damn good. The ballpark boat landing gives you access to Winyah Bay, The Ocean, Black River, PeeDee, The Waccamaw, The Sampit....all within a 5-30 minute boat ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Depends where you’re looking. You need to come spend some time in the area to get a feel. Generally you’ll find better prices in Gtown than after you cross the bridges.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Awful lotta honkies down there

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

That varies wildly on what part of Georgetown County you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Depends on what you plan to use the house for and your budget. There are some great condos at Belle Isle on the market right now that come with Belle Isle Marina and there’s also a pool and small restaurant down there. If you’re looking for a house close to front street there are several great houses on the market downtown and in willowbank(a short gold cart ride to front street). Georgetown is a great place to live. I was born and raised there and now live away but I am home almost every weekend. The restaurant scene on Front Street is really taken off. The Big Tuna is my second home....food sucks but the beer is cold and the bullshit is thick. Fishing in the area is pretty damn good. The ballpark boat landing gives you access to Winyah Bay, The Ocean, Black River, PeeDee, The Waccamaw, The Sampit....all within a 5-30 minute boat ride.

A Belle Isle condo gets you access to a beach club on Pawley's doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    A Belle Isle condo gets you access to a beach club on Pawley's doesn't it?
    It does

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I’m a real estate broker here and the market is as crazy as it’s ever been.

I bought a little place in the Maryville area a few years back. I know a lot of folks scoff at that part of Georgetown, but I like it. It's quiet, it only takes me an hour to get there from home, has six feet plus of water at dead low tide, and I can be on Front Street in about 10-15 minutes by boat. It was also a lot cheaper that what I would have paid for a place on Lake Marion.

Along those lines though, the house needs some work. Any recommendations? I need to have deck torn down and redone, along with some plumbing and electrical.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I bought a little place in the Maryville area a few years back. I know a lot of folks scoff at that part of Georgetown, but I like it. It's quiet, it only takes me an hour to get there from home, has six feet plus of water at dead low tide, and I can be on Front Street in about 10-15 minutes by boat. It was also a lot cheaper that what I would have paid for a place on Lake Marion.

Along those lines though, the house needs some work. Any recommendations? I need to have deck torn down and redone, along with some plumbing and electrical.
    This is what we're thinking. Just want something relatively close to the water where we can hang out on the weekends. It's just the wife and our dogs, so a big house isn't necessary. We'd rather have a bigger lot, a place to store the boat and minimal upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    ...but they're mostly Southern. I'll take a 'neck from Hampton over a "woke" from Ohio 100/100 times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    ...but they're mostly Southern. I'll take a 'neck from Hampton over a "woke" from Ohio 100/100 times over.
    True!

I lived on the marsh off willowbank for two years, I loved the neighborhood. When life allows I will move back down there.

its smells funny
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its smells funny
    It’s not so bad once ya get used to it

That's the smell of money.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    That's the smell of money.
    That’s what I was told my entire life. And until I was about 12 I thought my dad was telling me they actually made money there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its smells funny
    That's the smell of money

That’s what I was told my entire life. And until I was about 12 I thought my dad was telling me they actually made money there.

Oh...they do

That's funny. I heard it all my life too. The man I was named for was the manager there back in the day.
    DILLIGAF