Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a shop built

Default Wanting a shop built

Looking for recommendations on having a shop built, I’m in west Columbia. Sketch of what I’m wanting done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And build it bigger than you think. I have a 50'x80' that should have been a 60'x100'.

I had something similar built, all metal. I was around $15k into it after the dirt work, including the pad.

I used Capitol Buildings. They came recommended from a member on here who had one put up in the peedee.

88988D83-A287-42F6-B094-957EC73659BB.jpg

Old barn was hauled off, lights installed, moose/deer horns over the doors, and landscaping went in, but you can get the idea.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 08-04-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Yeah on the bigger. 30X30 will get small quick. Set up a anchor point or a rail to mount a chain hoist on at that roll up. And I’d do a roll up, not a panel/garage type. Height is good, lean to’s on the sides are great. I’d make that pad/porch 16’. How much money you got for me to spend?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

good luck. With the way building supply prices are, you may be in for a sticker shock.

I got a quote two months ago for a 24x30 two car garage with a bonus room on top.

$82K in Greenville
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    good luck. With the way building supply prices are, you may be in for a sticker shock.

I got a quote two months ago for a 24x30 two car garage with a bonus room on top.

$82K in Greenville
    I’ll do it for $81K.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I’ll do it for $81K.
    Not in MY yard you wont.

he gave a preliminary quote of $52k. Then he brought the subs by and priced lumber etc.

A week later he called me to apologize and tell me he knew that it wouldn't be built.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 08-04-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I have a 30x40 with a 20x40 lean to. I am fixing to build a 40x80 shed just to keep the big stuff from eating every inch of the lean to and enclosed shed. Build it bigger, you won’t regret. I priced a stick building like your drawing (same sizes) and was quoted $45k 3 years ago. I built my metal building for $38k.
    cut\'em

Two lean twos just need to be another bay on the pole barn. And I would put both on one end. 30 ft trusses spaced on 12 ft would work better material wise. Sheet metal covers 3’. No ripping sheets of metal.

Steel fab is cheaper right now. $45k for installed 50x100 red iron with 3 sides 16’ eave height.

I would go bigger if I had the real estate to go bigger, in hindsight I should’ve built my house further up on my property by 75 to 100 ft. Shop will be on property line as it is right now.

Check your local ordinances. 10 foot off the line is about the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    I would go bigger if I had the real estate to go bigger, in hindsight I should’ve built my house further up on my property by 75 to 100 ft. Shop will be on property line as it is right now.
    I’ve got a buddy who is semi retired that sells metal buildings, he is in Columbia. I’ll pm you his contact info. He quoted me a building last year and it was reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I’ve got a buddy who is semi retired that sells metal buildings, he is in Columbia. I’ll pm you his contact info. He quoted me a building last year and it was reasonable.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Check your local ordinances. 10 foot off the line is about the norm.
    It’s 3ft in Lexington County I believe

When I talked with Lex county a couple years ago about adding onto my house it was 10ft, or 5 ft with no door or window within 10 ff of line, or have neighbor sign off. This was for a house not just a pole building so that might make a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    It’s 3ft in Lexington County I believe
    Correct

My shop is 30 x 30 with lean too on one side. My shop floor is smooth finish with epoxy. The pad extends 15 foot out past shop and goes under my lean too. I have more in concrete than the shop I think.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I got metal truss packages out of the Savannah area and they were the cheapest by far. I did a 36x84 with a 24x84 lean to on one side. I did open sides but it is easy to frame up the sides once the roof is there.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Correct

My shop is 30 x 30 with lean too on one side. My shop floor is smooth finish with epoxy. The pad extends 15 foot out past shop and goes under my lean too. I have more in concrete than the shop I think.
    I’d like to concrete under both lean toos but slag is much cheaper so I’m going that right