Thread: 7 Marines, 1 Sailor Presumed Dead

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default 7 Marines, 1 Sailor Presumed Dead

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Sad. Prayers for their families.

That was my MOS, amphibious assault vehicles. If you don't secure the back hatch, it will sink like a rock. Anyone inside has no chance. RIP devil dogs.

Sad. Prayers for families

Sad this is barely a news story vs what is covered. Prayers for the friends and family.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

seems like the little pony bottles scuba tanks with integrated regulators strapped to the bottom of each chair could save a lot of lives.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post

That is the sad shameful truth

Prayers to their families and friends, and thanks to them for their service

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Too right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    That was my MOS, amphibious assault vehicles. If you don't secure the back hatch, it will sink like a rock. Anyone inside has no chance. RIP devil dogs.
    These vehicles have always fascinated and terrified me. They operate with incredibly low amount of freeboard in the best of seas. I assume this has a snorkel to get clear air, but does it have a reserve air tank or electric back up power in the invent of ingesting seawater? Thanks for your service, I know these amphibious vehicles represent a great tactical advantage for beachhead landings but damn they look like a precarious craft. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Marines are given the shittiest equipment when compared to the other branches, and do the best with it...been doing that for along time. I used to ride in Vietnam era helicopters all over Camp Pendleton and that was in late 80's and early 90's..making the best of the situation.
    At least I'm housebroken.

They cruise pretty low in the water for a good reason. They try not to be easy targets. They get air in through plenums on the top. They are meant to take on a lot of water and have 4 bilge pumps that can get rid of water at a pretty high rate. At 25 tons, they will sink like a rock. The hull is 1/4 inch of aluminum.

When I was in, they had a tendency to nose dive since the engine and transmission on set close to the front. Thats why you see them with a shield in front to give them a little rise.

They run on tracks on land and then can be switched over to run on 2 jets on each side in the water.

Just looked it up. The 4 bilge pumps can dump 400 gallons per minute.

There were 9 guys killed. Dangit!

U.S. Marines ID all 9 people killed in sea-tank sinking

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The U.S. Marine Corps has identified all nine people killed when a Marine landing craft sank in hundreds of feet of water off the Southern California coast.

Only one of their bodies was found, despite an intense days-long search involving helicopters and boats ranging from inflatables to a Navy destroyer.

Found at the scene was Lance Cpl. Guillermo S. Perez, 20, of New Braunfels Texas. The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit announced on Sunday that the others, from California, Texas, Wisconsin and Oregon, are “presumed dead.”

They include: Pfc. Bryan J. Baltierra, 19, of Corona, California; Lance Cpl. Marco A. Barranco, 21, of Montebello, California; Pfc. Evan A. Bath, 19, of Oak Creek, Wisconsin; U.S. Navy Hospitalman Christopher Gnem, 22, of Stockton, California; Pfc. Jack Ryan Ostrovsky, 21, of Bend, Oregon; Cpl. Wesley A. Rodd, 23, of Harris, Texas; Lance Cpl. Chase D. Sweetwood, 19, of Portland, Oregon; and Cpl. Cesar A. Villanueva, 21, of Riverside, California.

“Literally every asset we have available” was mobilized in the search for seven Marines and a Navy corpsman, Lt. Gen. Joseph Osterman, commander of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, said Friday.

They were aboard an amphibious assault vehicle that was heading back to a Navy ship Thursday evening after a routine training exercise when it began taking on water about a half-mile (0.8 kilometers) from Navy-owned San Clemente Island, off San Diego.

Other assault vehicles quickly responded but couldn’t stop the 26-ton, tank-like vehicle from quickly sinking, Osterman said.

“The assumption is that it went completely to the bottom” several hundred feet below, Osterman said. That was too deep for divers, and Navy and Coast Guard were discussing ways to reach the sunken vehicle to get a view inside it, Osterman said.

Seven other Marines were rescued from the water; two were in stable condition at a hospital, authorities said.

All the Marines were attached to the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, based at nearby Camp Pendleton. They ranged in age from 19 to early 30s and all were wearing combat gear, including body armor, and flotation vests, Osterman said.

The vehicle, known as an AAV but nicknamed an “amtrac,” for “amphibious tractor” is used to take Marines and their gear from Navy ships to land.

The sunken craft, one of 13 involved in the exercise, was designed to be naturally buoyant and had three water-tight hatches and two large troop hatches, Osterman said.

The vehicles have been used since 1972, and continually refurbished. Marine Corps officials said Friday they did not know the age or other details of the one that sank.

The Marine Corps commandant, Gen. David Berger, suspended waterborne operations of more than 800 amphibious assault vehicles across the branch until the cause of the accident is determined.

This is the third time in recent years that Camp Pendleton Marines have been injured or died in amphibious assault vehicles during training exercises.

In 2017, 14 Marines and one Navy sailor were hospitalized after their vehicle hit a natural gas line, igniting a fire that engulfed the landing craft at Camp Pendleton.

In 2011, a Marine died when an amphibious assault vehicle in a training exercise sank offshore of the camp.