Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fig Preserves...

It's really simple. Just remember 8/4/2

For every 8 cups of figs use 4 cups or sugar and 2 cups of water.

Cut stems, rinse and place 'em in a bucket or clean sink. Dust em with about 1 tbsp of baking soda and cover them with boiling water and let them soak for an hour or so. Drain and rinse with cold water.

4 cups sugar, 2 cups water, about half a lemon, sliced. Bring to a boil and "cook" for 10 minutes.

Add figs and cook to your desired consistency, stirring occasionally. I hit 'em with a tater masher about an hour in to bust them up.

Jar up and seal.

Note: we add spices. Play around with different spices and find a flavor you like.

jam up! I will refrain from eating them off the tree with my 3 year old and make a batch and report back.
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by upstatewoodie View Post
    jam up! I will refrain from eating them off the tree with my 3 year old and make a batch and report back.
    Oh. Remove the lemon peels. Forgot that part.

Lemon zest be ok?
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

i thought sugar kills people?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i thought sugar kills people?
    It only Monday/DDs Tuesday. Pace yourself or your cantankerous tank will be empty by DDs Friday.

I saw somewhere the other day that figs are 50% sugar on their own, so adding more sugar shouldn't hurt anything. I get about a pound per day and have to stay on top of them before the birds get to them. I've been slicing and dehydrating for "chips" the last few days. I'm going to make some preserves after seeing this.

Picked a few at my parents house after work today. Back later in the week for more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

That Big Red brings back some memories. Dang things were a death trap.

Sorry for the derail Glenn. Fig on boys.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Figs, in general, suck.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Figs, in general, suck.
    Commie

A lady that lived across the street from me when I was growing up made fig preserves with a recipe that used strawberry jello. She insisted the figs be picked before they got too soft and left them in big chunks. They were divine. My dad loved them and tried to hoard them even though he had three growing boys who knew all of his hiding places. If one of us ever slathered a bit too much on a piece of toast, Dad was guaranteed to scold us for being wasteful and gluttonous. Maybe a year after my dad died and probably ten or twelve years after my neighbor, Liberty Straney, died, we found dad's last stash of fig preserves stashed in his garage. He had a case of eight jars squirreled away in his work shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Commie
    I guess, but I just don't like them. But, then again, I don't like a lot of stuff that a southern boy is supposed to like. Collards, okra, sweet tater pie, pecan pie, squash, tomatoes...all suck.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Go get some thick cut bone in pork chops. Grill over medium high heat to crisp up the outside. When they are about done, add a spoonful of room temp preserves over the top. Butter beans would be a great accompanying side. Willamette Valley Pinot Noir would be my choice, but I would have had 2-3 Coors Lights or a liquor drink prior to eating, so don’t feel fenced in.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I guess, but I just don't like them. But, then again, I don't like a lot of stuff that a southern boy is supposed to like. Collards, okra, sweet tater pie, pecan pie, squash, tomatoes...all suck.
    You kin to feetdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Go get some thick cut bone in pork chops. Grill over medium high heat to crisp up the outside. When they are about done, add a spoonful of room temp preserves over the top. Butter beans would be a great accompanying side. Willamette Valley Pinot Noir would be my choice, but I would have had 2-3 Coors Lights or a liquor drink prior to eating, so don’t feel fenced in.
    Y’all bring the wine. We’ll supply everything else.

I’m serious.

I grew up on grandmas fig preserves. She added strawberry flavoring of some sort and called it “mock strawberry preserves”

We picked buckets full in the summer. My daughter eats them all off tree before they make it in the house.

Figs are Devine

I have had Glenn’s fig preserves and he makes a good batch
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Back in the day of hunting some fancy Georgia Quail Plantations owned by well heeled folks, our favorite place always fed us an unneeded mid day repast.

Usually some Deer pastrami, whole smoked deboned quail, and an assortment of fancy cheeses and crackers. The favorite was Miss Idessa's homemade fig preserves over a block of cream cheese.. Like Gene wrote- divine.

My woman brought me a quart bag of figs from her Dad's place in Mississippi. Might be enough to make a few jars. I will get to that this weekend.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I found a tree at an old house site today. Biggest damn figs I have ever put my eyes on. Picked a sack and ate as many
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Y’all bring the wine. We’ll supply everything else.

I’m serious.
    Let's do it!