Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What jeep to get

Default What jeep to get

Looking to purchase a Jeep Wrangler for a hunting vehicle and to drive around town to
    Keep miles off my 250. What year or motor do I need to stay away from, or certain years or models are good? I know nothing about a wrangler. This will be a $6k or less purchase and I’m looking something that I can trust.

What say ye?
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

You may be hard pressed to find something decent in that price range. I'm sure they are out there, but Jeeps seem to be the "in" thing.

ETA: Just did a quick autotrader search and found 3 under 10k within 100 miles of Travelers Rest. The cheapest was $8800.00
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 08-02-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Last real Jeep was 2006, the last year of the TJ. Good luck unless you are in the $12000 range.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

They hold their value and they fly off the lot. They never have to offer rebates at our local dealer.

Look at a cherokee (xj). 97-99. Can be had for half the price of a wrangler or better. Same suspension. Same drivetrain. Hauls more stuff. Tows better. Arguably more flexible with the subframe over rails.

Check out the Suzuki Samurai that GoinCostal’s cousin is selling. Ill see if I can find the listing and text it to you. I believe he wants $6000 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know where one is. I will stop and check the price in the morning.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

04-06 Yukon or Tahoe
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Try the bus. Seems other 250 guys have tried this as well.

I don’t see how a wrangler makes a good hunting ride unless all you do is small game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Try the bus. Seems other 250 guys have tried this as well.
    LOL.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Wranglers hold their value. People want one even if they have no idea what they are getting into. I frequently have people ask me if I want to sell mine. I plan to be buried in mine.

If I were buying a vehicle strictly for hunting it would be an old suburban. I had the chance to buy a 2500 diesel that I was borrowing and I kick myself for not making that purchase. A mid 90s diesel Burban 4x4, winch our front, dog boxes/drawer storage in the rear and a good hitch carrier would be the ultimate do all hunting rig in my book.

All of that said...a 90s YJ with the 4.0 would be a fun vehicle to own and much cheaper than a CJ to find in good condition.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    If I were buying a vehicle strictly for hunting it would be an old suburban. I had the chance to buy a 2500 diesel that I was borrowing and I kick myself for not making that purchase. A mid 90s diesel Burban 4x4, winch our front, dog boxes/drawer storage in the rear and a good hitch carrier would be the ultimate do all hunting rig in my book.

All of that said...a 90s YJ with the 4.0 would be a fun vehicle to own and much cheaper than a CJ to find in good condition.

Not a diesel, but this is my hunting truck that stays out west. It needs to be cleaned, there are literal plants growing in the back out of the carpet.

A4870E27-1F45-4C85-A89F-7437C9C79621.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post

Very true, had both a YJ 4cyl and the 4.0. Had the 4cyl lifted with 33’s, it would do work on the trail but wouldn’t get over 70mph. Had buddies with CJs and the YJs are much cheaper to buy than a CJ. Had buddies with TJs and loved the coil suspension, leaf springs are not as flexible but it depends on what your doing. For a hunting rig you can get out much cheaper with a YJ.
    With that being said, I wouldn’t buy a Jeep for a hunting rig. Not much room to toss a deer in the back. And now that every soccer mom is buying the new Gladiator, they aren’t as reasonable as they used to be.
    Now if you could find a good Willys Truck, I’d take it in a second.
    Last edited by duckz; 08-02-2020 at 06:53 PM.

I had 2 YJ 4.0s. Wish I still had one! 31” mud tires and it was tough!

Well damn, I figured a 90s jeep wasn’t going to break the bank but y’all ain’t kidding. I knocked my 18’ F150 out of alignment 2 times durring turkey season. I’d like to to have a small frame vehicle where I have to go, that is the only thing holding me back from a suburban. Tell me about a samurai? What should I look for. Wife may drive it from greenwood to Anderson to work a time or two a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I had both a 91 and a 95 YJ with 4.0. Cheapest way to go. Leaf spring suspension. Get the kit, unbolt the old and bolt in the new. You can buy a wire harness kit and rewire the whole system in a day. It's all plug&play. Just make sure you have a good cooling system. Crawling through the woods tends to make it overheat. It needs air flow and I've seen some people cut grills into the hood. If you're gonna put anything over 31s on, change the rear d35 axle to a d44. That old c-clip design in the rear will explode if you put too much pressure with big tires on it.

My first car was an 89 YJ with a 4 banger...I gave that damn thing hell! Starter went out in it one time. I went to a pick and pull and got a good starter. Bolt pattern was a match and it worked but it didn’t cover up the opening between the starter and fly wheel. Ran it like that till I sold it...never skipped a beat!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Well damn, I figured a 90s jeep wasn’t going to break the bank but y’all ain’t kidding. I knocked my 18’ F150 out of alignment 2 times durring turkey season. I’d like to to have a small frame vehicle where I have to go, that is the only thing holding me back from a suburban. Tell me about a samurai? What should I look for. Wife may drive it from greenwood to Anderson to work a time or two a week.
    You do not want a samurai for this. I have an 86 tin top I’ll sell you if you do. It is a blast to drive like a little monster go cart. Will go anywhere but not faster than 55mph