Thread: Ocean Lakes Fire

Default Ocean Lakes Fire

Several units damaged, 45 people displaced after fire at Ocean Lakes Campground
    WYFF 4Updated: 8:59 AM EDT Jul 31, 2020

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. —
    A massive fire broke out at Ocean Lakes Family Campground early Friday morning, according to WMBF.

Crews were dispatched to the fire around 4:45 a.m., according to Horry County Fire Rescue.

Officials said ten buildings were damaged, with three to four destroyed.

In addition, about six cars and several golf carts also were damaged.

According to officials, the fire displaced 45 people. Two firefighters were taken to the hospital as a precaution for heat exhaustion.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.

I'm surprised more houses didn't go up. Those houses are only like 10 feet apart

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

In other news, the most scenic view in myrtle beach is now a particular block inside ocean lakes.

the story of Ocean Lakes is an interesting one...allegedly the guy that started Ocean Lakes basically invented the RV by converting an old Trailways bus into something his family could tour around in. Back in the day....
    At least I'm housebroken.

yup
    At least I'm housebroken.

I've always thought one spark could bring that whole place down. Glad more damage wasn't done than this.

Growing up we always went to my great grandparents beach house that my great grandfather built on 3rd Ave S in Surfside. Later after my father passed I lived there with my mom who still lives there today. As a kid I always knew we finally made it when I saw the Ocean Lakes sign. My dad was an HVAC man and we would take a lot of the tools out of his work van and put plastic chairs to ride in. When we took that right turn at Ocean Lakes me and my sisters would go skidding across the van to the back corner every time. Good memories.

Love that place, became a man there back in the eighties. They let 13 yr olds drive golf carts and those upstate and Charlotte girls love men with wheels. A three wheel golf cart, Birdwell Beach Britches, and a midnight curfew equaled a long hot summer.

As I got older I could drive to surf other places but Ocean Lakes was always home base. They always kept a strong hand on security which allowed parents room to let kids be kids. I went back about fifteen years ago and wow had it changed. Rows and rows of houses on stilts, gone were the permanent trailers with mostly homemade additions. I too am surprised that a legit fire only affected such a small number of structures. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

It prints money.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    It prints money.
    Right at 9k a year lot rent do the math