Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lost Art of Turkey Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I wonder if they yell at deer so they’ll start running before they shoot?
    Bweeerr

or whatever that silly grunt sound is...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    We are in an age of people wanting instant reward and gratification. That’s fine in sports played with a ball because nothing is being lost or taken. With hunting, an animal from a limited resource is being taken from the cycle. Yes, I fill my tags every year, but it takes a lot of time and patients. A lot of times turkeys are killed with decoys, it’s because they are being territorial. They would have never left their hens to search for the caller but when they see that strutter, here they come. That bird would have remained in cycle longer to breed and do his thing. Not to share too many secrets but very few hunters tag out in the first week of the season without using decoys.
    Well you are being a bit hypocritical are you not? You talk about people who turkey hunt wanting instant gratification and reward, yet you see nothing wrong with shooting a deer over a cornpile??? Makes no sense to me. Let's be honest, very few people actually hunt anymore.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

It is difficult to find anything impressive about killing a wild turkey, but lord at the ways people try.

What would be impressive? Someone figuring out a way to cook one of the nasty bastards that raises it about "Yeah I shot it now we have to eat it" status...

It is difficult to find anything impressive about killing a wild turkey, but lord at the ways people try.

What would be impressive? Someone figuring out a way to cook one of the nasty bastards that raises it above "Yeah I shot it now we have to eat it" status...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

What would be impressive? Someone figuring out a way to cook one of the nasty bastards that raises it above "Yeah I shot it now we have to eat it" status...
    Damnit you fucking redneck, ain't you ever ate properly fried wild turkey?????? Evidently not, prayers for you!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I see your point I just think it is one sided. You want hunters to conform to your way of hunting. I’m just not of the mind set that you are correct in doing so. If you want to preserve the population lower the limit and shorten the season. Y’all don’t want to do that though because it cuts into your bag. You only want to cut into others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amen brother!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    We are in an age of people wanting instant reward and gratification. That’s fine in sports played with a ball because nothing is being lost or taken. With hunting, an animal from a limited resource is being taken from the cycle. Yes, I fill my tags every year, but it takes a lot of time and patients. A lot of times turkeys are killed with decoys, it’s because they are being territorial. They would have never left their hens to search for the caller but when they see that strutter, here they come. That bird would have remained in cycle longer to breed and do his thing. Not to share too many secrets but very few hunters tag out in the first week of the season without using decoys.
    I want to hear more about these "secrets".
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Damnit you fucking redneck, ain't you ever ate properly fried wild turkey?????? Evidently not, prayers for you!
    I have never considered them to be a delicacy
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

it's hard to get on board with it when you've got people missing turkeys with scoped shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Y’all can be as fucked up as y’all wanna be, but when y’all start casting shade on water swatting a duck......well....fuck off.
    My man. If they want to make it out, they sure better not land on the water. I’ll long gun a youngin too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I have never considered them to be a delicacy
    Dammit that is sad you’ve never had it cooked properly.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Absolutely. Well, unless you're using a crossbow during regular archery deer season.....
    It’s a recurve bo.

Just turnt sideways, with a trigger, and scope.

Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Y’all can be as fucked up as y’all wanna be, but when y’all start casting shade on water swatting a duck......well....fuck off.
    Wait what? I trust some bans were handed down from such nonsense...

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Dammit that is sad you’ve never had it cooked properly.
    I would ask that the next time you kill and cook one to invite me over but I don’t want to wait that long
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

What would be impressive? Someone figuring out a way to cook one of the nasty bastards that raises it about "Yeah I shot it now we have to eat it" status...
    Uhhhh....turkeys are delicious. Waterfowl on the other hand are horrendously awful. “Someone figuring out a way to cook one of the nasty bastards”....yeah. I’ve never had wild turkey that was bad. You can cook it any way dr Seuss could drum up. Ducks on the other hand, I’ve cooked it every way possible and it still tastes like shit.

I’ve never seen someone try to pawn off a wild turkey to anybody because they didn’t want to eat it. I always have people try to give me their ducks. Normally, all the ducks go to the new quest...they think we are being nice and doing them a favor. Go hunt with someone at a club and see....everyone will be saying, nice to meet you. We kill ducks all the time, we have plenty in our freezers...please, take these for yourself.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-31-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Wild Turkey is delicious. That's all I'm going to add here.

Turkeys are good to eat when properly prepared and I don’t mean slathered in something to hide the taste. And how anyone who eats squirrels can criticize turkey is beyond me.

As far as tv shows, they are there for sponsors. I watched a “given right” episode yesterday where the guy killed an elk in Nevada at 70+ yards with a bow. Had just seen a couple episodes previously and was sorta starting to enjoy some of it. On the Nevada elk hunt his guide was radioing to spotters for direction on stalking the elk. That is a bit less than fair chase imo, probably won’t watch that one again. I saw Levi Morgan take a dall ram at 101 yards on a show last week. The guy can shoot a bow but I’ve also seen him turkey “hunt”. Toms immediately went to pecking when they came into sight. You can figure it out.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 07-31-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

And wood ducks are good too. Anyone throwing the thighs and legs away should be shot.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles