Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Art of Turkey Hunting

Default Lost Art of Turkey Hunting

I tell you what, these modern turkey hunting tv shows make me want to vomit. These people have no idea what turkey hunting is all about. All they want to do is kill. 100% of the shows are over decoys, and 50% of those the hunters are in ground blinds and aren’t even calling. It’s a real shame that people are hunting these days just for show and a photo op. There is absolutely nothing gratifying about killing a turkey that way. You can’t have the deep respect and humbleness of a turkey hunter and do it that way. There is absolutely no way I could pull the trigger on a long beard near a decoy. Period. The whole art and sport of turkey hunting is the Tom Foolery with calls and it is 100% lost in modern hunting shows. It fucking makes me sick that “outdoor channels” can show that trash on public television. Hell, I’ve even seen a few shows lately where the people resort to sneaking up on turkeys and they actually film that shit! Wtf! End rant.

This is straight up truth...I have shot one turkey over a decoy in my life and I have shot a lot of turkeys. About 12-15 years ago I got one of those pretty boy strutter decoys. I wasn’t a good caller at that point so I figured it would be a good tool. I went hunting one morning in a spot I knew had turkeys but didn’t hear anything at daylight. I was super tired from fishing a bass tournament the day before so I set my pretty boy up in a food plot and stretched out on the ground at the edge of the woods and fell asleep. I woke up an hour later and looked up. It looked like I had 2 pretty boys out there. A big gobbler was in full strut eye to eye with my decoy. I eased my gun up and shot him. As I walked up to this bird, I had like a revelation come over me. I looked down at that bird and actually felt sorry for him. I felt bad that I shot him that way. Those birds are warriors and survivors and I just bushwhacked him. I went home and put the pretty boy in the trash. I will never again shoot another bird like that. I have absolutely no problem and get extreme enjoyment over wrecking their heads at 20 yards after I’ve worked them in though!
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-30-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Have you tuned into the deer hunting shows?! Same thing aside from the hunting public and meateater (only two I watch)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Have you tuned into the deer hunting shows?! Same thing aside from the hunting public and meateater (only two I watch)
    Nah. I hate bow hunting so as soon as I see a bow that’s it. I’ve never deer hunted out of state but I have buddies who have. They tell me the deer out west are “dumb” compared to our deer in sc. They say they don’t pick you out and you can get away with a lot of movement. After hearing their stories, I’ve lost all interest in watching deer hunting shows because they are all mid west hunts. If they aren’t hunting Carolina deer, I have no interest.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-30-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Throwing the bird in the trash would be a waste. Some may say you using a gun isn’t fair and it is more sporting to shoot a bow. I think you give some turkeys a little too much credit. They can be dumb as a rock during the spring at times. Same with bucks in the fall..

At the end of the day hunting is about being in the woods getting away from it all, enjoying Gods’ creation and spending time with friends and family. If someone wants to use a decoy so be it.

I guess my issue is with grown ass men hunting like that. In kid has to learn and a person trying to first start out hunting doesn’t know any better. These cats on tv are supposed to be seasoned professionals. As a man with balls between my legs, i wouldn’t be caught dead shooting a turkey like that on film.

Great idea. Attack and judge other hunters for employing legal means to harvest turkeys. Carry on just like an anti.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I tell you what, these modern turkey hunting tv shows make me want to vomit. These people have no idea what turkey hunting is all about. All they want to do is kill. 100% of the shows are over decoys, and 50% of those the hunters are in ground blinds and aren’t even calling. It’s a real shame that people are hunting these days just for show and a photo op. There is absolutely nothing gratifying about killing a turkey that way. You can’t have the deep respect and humbleness of a turkey hunter and do it that way. There is absolutely no way I could pull the trigger on a long beard near a decoy. Period. The whole art and sport of turkey hunting is the Tom Foolery with calls and it is 100% lost in modern hunting shows. It fucking makes me sick that “outdoor channels” can show that trash on public television. Hell, I’ve even seen a few shows lately where the people resort to sneaking up on turkeys and they actually film that shit! Wtf! End rant.
    I have been beating my head against this wall for years and it does no good. You are in for a long, fruitless fight if you think you are going to get the facepage and instalife turkey hunters to embrace the true essence of turkey hunting. It's all about the hero pics, for them. I have been left behind in my turkey hunting beliefs and I'm ok with that.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Great idea. Attack and judge other hunters for employing legal means to harvest turkeys. Carry on just like an anti.
    My post is not meant to be an attack on hunters. My post is voicing my grievance about the television shows and networks. They have a nationwide platform to help educate and explain the true game of turkey hunting, not turkey killing. They choose to air straight clowns. I wish they would try to show the roots and essence of sport hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I have been beating my head against this wall for years and it does no good. You are in for a long, fruitless fight if you think you are going to get the facepage and instalife turkey hunters to embrace the true essence of turkey hunting. It's all about the hero pics, for them. I have been left behind in my turkey hunting beliefs and I'm ok with that.
    Not to mention the negative affect it’s having on the populations. That’s the platform I tried fighting it on it. I tried asking the question on one of the NWTF broadcast on Facebook this spring. Not only was my question not asked, the guy in charge of the broadcast used it for a plug for Avian X decoys or whatever decoys the NWTF pushes. Several of the NWTF guys messaged me on Facebook and so did Chamberlain and Collier. Both just said there wasn’t any evidence to prove they were negative on the population. I will say Chamberlain seemed interested in looking into it though and researching it. I realized quick this was a waste of my time.
    Last edited by PJ1012; 07-30-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    If we ever kill one together, it’s going on Instagram. I think you’re safe for a while
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Am I ok if I make the decoy?

I feel just as strongly about shooting anything over bait, but that's me and if it's legal have at it.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Wish they’d do away with the damn Jake and gobbler decoys. DNR is worried about killing to many mature gobblers early well that would fix a good part of that problem.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Am I ok if I make the decoy?

I feel just as strongly about shooting anything over bait, but that's me and if it's legal have at it.
    Well turkeys are already illegal to take over bait.....

I wish the NWTF or some big time tv hunter would try to show and explain to others the game of turkey calling. I know there is big money in all the gigets and gadget accessories but people losing the true essence is bad for the bird and conservation. Once you realize what turkey hunting is all about, you develop a deep passion and respect for the animal which in turn makes you want to assist and contribute to its conservation. Just going out and killing the damn thing doesn't develop that deep devotion to the animal and the art of pursuing it.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-30-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Well turkeys are already illegal to take over bait.....
    I wasn't talking about turkeys.

I've killed a handfull of turkeys with hen dekes and a ton without. Not a fan of the fanning or strutters myself but a hen deke in SC woods isn't gonna bankrupt the population nor is it (IMO) the advantage one who watches TV shows might think it is. Just saying and not defending the use of them. The only thing that really bothers me about anti-deke conversations is the folks who poopaw them but load up with TSS and show 80 yard patterns. LOL And I don't mind knocking one over a homemade deke one bit. It's a gimmick but I'm vested in it.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Turkey hunting for sport really hasn't been around long enough to be overly poetic about all its beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I wasn't talking about turkeys.

I've killed a handfull of turkeys with hen dekes and a ton without. Not a fan of the fanning or strutters myself but a hen deke in SC woods isn't gonna bankrupt the population nor is it (IMO) the advantage one who watches TV shows might think it is. Just saying and not defending the use of them. The only thing that really bothers me about anti-deke conversations is the folks who poopaw them but load up with TSS and show 80 yard patterns. LOL And I don't mind knocking one over a homemade deke one bit. It's a gimmick but I'm vested in it.
    I know you weren’t referring to turkeys but were talking about deer and such being taken over bait. Deer aren’t struggling in SC and turkeys are. Most of us who are against decoys are mainly speaking of the male decoys and not necessarily the hen decoys. But I wouldn’t be against all being outlawed. Hen decoys don’t make dominate gobblers leave large flocks of hens to come kick tail so they really don’t bother me
    Last edited by PJ1012; 07-30-2020 at 08:07 PM.

I don't think I misunderstood anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    I know you weren’t referring to turkeys but were talking about deer and such being taken over bait. Deer aren’t struggling in SC and turkeys are. Most of us who are against decoys are mainly speaking of the male decoys and not necessarily the hen decoys. But I wouldn’t be against all being outlawed. Hen decoys don’t make dominate gobblers leave large flicks of hens to come kick tail so they really bother me
    I don’t understand why people feel they need a hen decoy. Once you make a peep from your call, there is no confusion about your whereabouts. The gobbler knows exactly where the sound is coming from. Why does a turkey hunter feel they are necessary. A turkey hunter with confidence in his calling needs no crutches. You don’t need a visual to bring the turkey in range....all it takes is sweet talking and being still. I like the fact that the turkey is coming in looking. I don’t want anything to divert his attention. I want him searching for me. It’s like hide and seek. I’m calling and he’s looking.

It’s like Marco Polo with a majestic bird...let them get as close as possible then end the game with his death if he doesn’t figure the game out first.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-30-2020 at 08:11 PM.