Thread: East Fork Chattooga River

Default East Fork Chattooga River

Anyone familiar with the East Fork of the Chattooga, downstream of the hatchery?

By brother and SIL are in town and asked me to take them trout fishing. I told them they picked the worst weather, but I figured downstream of the hatchery, and with some of the recent rain, they might get lucky.

What I’m hearing mixed reports on are the width and openness of that stretch of river (up to maybe a mile below the hatchery?), and how far down that first pool and stretch of sandy shore is.

Any ideas or suggestions?

If I had the full day available I would have taken the to Jocassee and tried the ends of the Whitewater and Thompson Rivers, but only have till mid day to goof around.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I fished it a lot back from the late 70's through the 80's. It was good small water trout fishing, but I worked it from the confluence with the Chattooga up... not from the hatchery down. Fun catching small trout, with some bigger ones in the pools. Biggest I ever took out as a 19 inch brown.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Call chatooga fly shop and ask em. We have caught them at burrels ford.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I agree. I would put in at Burrells. You can go upstream towards elicot or down to Burrells. Thing is is you could catch limit in 30 minutes one day and not a bite the next.
    Definitely stop by chatooga flyshop. Buy a fly they recommend.

That section is small/medium in size. Some smaller pools, runs, and pocket water. Tight in many places. It is not the place I would take someone new to mountain trout fishing. Above the hatchery is even tighter. We used to hike down from the hatchery to where the East Fork joins the main branch and then fish our way back up. It’s a full day, but the fishing was not bad.

Been a lot of years but back then it was pretty rugged and choked with downfalls. I'd be fishing the chatooga below Burrells for stockers with salmon egg patterns or go elsewhere with better water temps and wilder fish if I was casting flies. Just saying. IMO it's like shooting pen raised quail. Sorry, not trying to be a jackass with that comment. Chatooga may be fishing well with all the rain we've had. Usually that river can get high water temps. If you are fly fishing you probably want to be fishing mid 60s temp water or lower. Above that and trout slow down.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 07-30-2020 at 08:12 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Great feedback, guys. Thanks.

I did talk to the shop the other day and they recommended trying the East Fork due to the temps, or go down to Earl’s Ford(?) to fish for bass. I just didn’t realize it was so tight. A couple of YT videos of supposedly just downstream from the hatchery looked great, but they didn’t say how downstream they were.

Burrell’s Ford temps have been running about 66.5 to 71+, so it’s definitely maxed out right now.

Since my main objective is to set the two of them up to have some fun, and particularly my SIL since I don’t think she has ever fished, but is game to try it. I guess I could always let her loose at the hatchery pool and I’ll fly fish some other time. All that matters tomorrow is to have a good time visiting since I only see them a few days every few years.

Thanks again. I’ll stop by the shop in the morning and see what Carl says.
    ~ George Washington

I would go to Long Creek and fish the Chauga.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    I would go to Long Creek and fish the Chauga.
    I would go to the Chauga if I didn’t have two newbies with no waders with me. Next time I’ll head up with a fellow fly fisherman/woman.
    ~ George Washington

I have fished it with fly and spinning rod. I have a cheap 6 foot fly rod with 3 wt line for this kinda place, and it was a challenge.

A 5 foot ultralight spinning rod with 4 lb test and the smallest roostertails or panther martins you can find. Work upstream and you will catch fish. Dress stealthy.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen