Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSP Training

The single best way to get a dog working well is to hunt him with an older well trained dog. You still need to get the obedience down and you almost can't overdo the whoa training but putting him on birds with a seasoned dog is a super shortcut to a good dog.

Putting two untrained dogs together can back up your progress. The competitiveness will compel them to steal points, which is bad for both dogs.

And on the e-collar subject, don't zap the dog after you have said come. If he's not coming, turn the volume down to just enough to annoy him and before commanding, hold the constant button until he looks annoyed, then say come. As soon as he starts in your direction, let off. Timing is critical. If you say come and then shock, he resents you for shocking him. If he is getting shocked and you tell him how to make it stop, you're the hero and you told him how to make his world better.

I’ve read varying things about wings and scents, most of it is to stay away from it.

I have both, but haven’t used either.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I’ve read varying things about wings and scents, most of it is to stay away from it.

I have both, but haven’t used either.
    Don’t knock it till you try it. I have a golden that will hold on an upland bird which is definitely an outlier, but what do I know....

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Lots of good info here especially the emphasis on whoa. I have some quail eggs if you want to incubate them. Having said that I would not recommend going back and forth between pen raised and wild birds. It often takes a good while for a dog to transition from the strong smell of a pen raised bird to the faint smell of a wild bird. They will often bust up a lot of coveys before they recalibrate to the scent intensity-proximity relationship of a wild bird.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 08-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Whoa can be taught with a long lead rope. Work him on pen raised quail with it. Tape the birds legs together, toss and work dog to it. If he breaks point whoa him and yank lead line. After a while the weight of the long lead rope will have him thinking you are still there to yank. Then work the lead rope out of the routine. I never trained a dog but grew up watching someone who did. I was the bird handler.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Teach whoa, teach whoa and teach whoa some more, with distractions and without. I start the whoa command on a training table , then work to the ground with leash, and then without a leash with an E-collar. If you have access to homing pigeons work those in using the remote control traps. You can release pigeons while dog is made to whoa on the table as well. At first keep the pigeons at a distance from dog on the table. You can start releasing them closer to the dog’s face as it gets more steady. If you don’t have a training table a picnic table will also get the job done.

I will also add I started mine on a place board/box before the table. You can use the board as a foundation when you start placing birds in traps in cover. Put the board upwind from the bird. Once dog gets scent place him on board, give whoa command, wait and increase distance from dog before releasing bird. You will eventually be able to take the board out of the training exercise.

Feel free to PM me or ask for my cell an I will offer any other advice I can.
    ^^^ Teach Whoa! We had Brittanys and they learned whoa. One of the guys we hunted with had a Boykin that didn’t know it and he spooked every covey he found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Dozen or so right now.

Where’s she at?
    Somehow I just saw this. She’s right outside Shelby NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr