Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blacksmithing

Default Blacksmithing

I’ve asked my kids to think about something they’d like to learn homeschooling they wouldn’t learn otherwise and my oldest came back with blacksmithing. I’m at a loss on where to begin. Is there anyone in the local Charleston area that has a forge and would be willing to do a few lessons (I’d pay for your time/materials) Nothing to in-depth. Basic stuff...heat and hammer. Maybe a project of some kind?

Any advice is appreciated.

Check for a local blacksmith guild in your area. I’ve been to a few meeting/events put on by one local to the upstate. The older guys are usually pretty cool old timers who really know their stuff. Unfortunately most of the younger guys are obnoxious hipsters and weirdos.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

I’ve reached out to the local blacksmiths in the area. From a business perspective there’s a liability issue that they don’t seem to want to take on even though we’d sign a waiver. I also reached out to the American College of the Building Arts in Charleston but they have responded yet.

My nephew built a forge and was making stuff blacksmith style- lives near the fork of 61 and 17A- he might hook you up- I'll ask him and let you know tomorrow

Hit up Sftull on here and he can steer you right on building your own forge too.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I’ve reached out to the local blacksmiths in the area. From a business perspective there’s a liability issue that they don’t seem to want to take on even though we’d sign a waiver. I also reached out to the American College of the Building Arts in Charleston but they have responded yet.
    It’s a shame they’re all worried about liability, I doubt they have many people knocking down there doors with interest
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    It’s a shame they’re all worried about liability, I doubt they have many people knocking down there doors with interest
    I know. It’s definitely a lost art. It’s one of those things I’m glad the boys are showing interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    My nephew built a forge and was making stuff blacksmith style- lives near the fork of 61 and 17A- he might hook you up- I'll ask him and let you know tomorrow
    Thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Hit up Sftull on here and he can steer you right on building your own forge too.
    I’ll reach out if he ever gets to that point.

Watch a few episodes of Forged in Fire on the history channel. Looks like hard & hot work.

Nephew says he don't have time with his new baby- said he is in his for under 200 and learned on you tube- good luck

Saw this online but it says they're closed right now.

http://www.magnusmetalworks.com/

Blacksmithing lessons

If you would like to make one of the gamecock claws or would just like to learn how to blacksmith. please email us for more info. sales@magnusmetalworks.com

Check out John C. Campbell Folk School , Brasstown NC . They use to have weekend blacksmithing classes , that would get your feet wet to see if they wanted to continue. Might check out Artist-Blacksmith's Association of North America.

Might be too short of notice and not sure if they work with kids as young as yours but figured I’d pass this along

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blacksm...s-113560538628

Thanks Michael. Will check it out

Cool idea. I want to look into similar activities for kids, preferably along the lines of "The Lost Ways".
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

It took a long time to fulfill this promise but man it was worth it. We will do this again. I've got a ton of pics and videos that I'll make a video out of for the boys but that's going to take some time. Here are a few pics...

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

That’s awesome

All that left me grinning!