Thread: Decoys in Tidal Waters

Default Decoys in Tidal Waters

Aside from just using longer lines & bigger weights, do you costal hunters have any tips or special rigs you use when placing decoys in areas that would be subjected to an incoming/rising tide?

Pay attention to floating debris, pick it up before it hits the first decoy or half your spread will be swept out to sea.
    Low country redneck who moved north

We used a gang rig when I used to hunt in heavy current. Big ass anchor and long line clips.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    We used a gang rig when I used to hunt in heavy current. Big ass anchor and long line clips.
    This for me too

I “pre hitch” my line for the max tide that day.

Mainly because I have 30ft on all flip weighted decoys and I really hate having to wind them.

If my high tide depth for that day is 10ft in said spot, I hitch em at the boat before tossing them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I just try to make sure that I have enough weight and more than enough line for every decoy, it's really annoying to have to chase one down. If the tide is going to shift while you are hunting leave enough space so that the decoys don't tangle when they swing the other direction.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    This for me too
    Easiest way

Sash weight and a long main line... long line clips on the decoys. And yes, floating marsh grass is a pain.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I wouldn’t dare use a longline hunting puddle ducks.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We usually use tumble weights and let the tide unwrap the line (if incoming tide). For those that use gang rigs, when the tide changes do you have to reset everything or does it work itself out sometimes?

We used 30' a line and 1lbs Cornbread weights per decoy when we hunted the Coastal rivers. If hunting back in the Marsh we had a separate rig of decoys and smaller weights. If hunting Divers the Gang rig is the ticket.

Body wrapped 25' foot of #60 tarred line and 12 ounce mushroom weights. I put long line clips on hen puddle ducks and clip them in front of the drakes. That way they stay in front even after the tide turns...

(yes, it does matter...maybe only to me but it does matter)

This will hold in most bottoms and current flows unless there's a lot of submerged leaves in the water. In deeper water I switch to long lines.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

The big question in my crowd for the salt marsh was skinny line vs. thick line. We all used a hell of a lot of line.

The skinny line people said the skinny line "cut" the tide better and there was less drag. Therefore, the decoy tended to drift less.

The thick line people said the skinny line was too much of a PIA to wrap and unwrap, when it tangled it was impossible to untangle, and it didn't make a difference with the size of the lead mushroom anchors we used.

When a mat of marsh grass came down the creek, it didn't matter what size the line was. You were going to have to get out and run down the creek to get your decoys back.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasbeau1 View Post
    We usually use tumble weights and let the tide unwrap the line (if incoming tide). For those that use gang rigs, when the tide changes do you have to reset everything or does it work itself out sometimes?
    If you have anchors on both ends of the gang line then you don't have to reset a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I use #120 for everything. 25ft long with 16oz weights. A little heavy, but I rarely put out more than a 12-16 birds.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    If you have anchors on both ends of the gang line then you don't have to reset a thing.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I wouldn’t dare use a longline hunting puddle ducks.
    I've killed plenty of puddle ducks with gang lines out. Of course I wouldn't dare hunt a public river in SC probably ever again.