Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OSB

Probably not if hes running an old school business like myself with just a simple bid and payment schedule.

[QUOTE=GBelly};2769996

Hardwood logs are getting tough to move again. Especially red oak.[/QUOTE]

F'in chinks!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 07-28-2020 at 05:41 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    All I know is talking with landowners and brokers, Wood is at its lowest price in at least 20 years right now. I’ll let the fucking beetles eat it before I give it away.
    Don’t forget to think about the future... IMO, if wood is getting to the point of having biological issues, you need to go ahead and take what you can get and start your next rotation. Based on what I look at/analyze every day, there isn’t a metric within the southeastern pine producing states that indicates landowners will see any significant (marketwide) increases in stumpage prices in the near future (or further...). Also remember that for every year you delay cutting, you are delaying all of your future cash flows as well.
    Formerly DM88

We average between 1750-2100 Sq ft on our specs. My salesman told me this morning to add 3k on my framing packs starting next week. He said windows, doors and trim would follow suit.
    Go Tigers!!!

Lumber prices are through the roof but as g belly says why would you pay more when you are turning wood away every day. I saw a printed price on 4x4 two weeks ago for $1,000 a thousand.

Glad I im not in the deck and fence business anymore..

We are lucky enough to have a couple large warehouses we can store in. We bought 60 hacks (66 sheets per hack) 2 weeks ago when we heard about this at $7 per sheet. We typically use 3-4 units a week depending on how many houses we re-sheet. Osb is likely the most volatile building material I am aware of. I've seen it anywhere from $4.97 all the way up to $22

After getting it stashed away we are thinking off adding more to completely fill the last building
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 07-27-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    We average between 1750-2100 Sq ft on our specs. My salesman told me this morning to add 3k on my framing packs starting next week. He said windows, doors and trim would follow suit.
    3K for that is about right, or as close as you can guess. Doors always go up first of the year by March, typically 5-7% every year I have been doing it atleast. You should be good on Doors/Trim till the end of the year unless something else happens. Trim already went up late january due to dump laws coming out of Chile and Brazil. I would think you are good to go. Framing and treated is where to worry about, atleast until the end of august

Our builder told us last week that we are looking at a roughly 40% increase in our lumber package over numbers we just got about 2 months ago. Ouch.

So where is the squeeze? Ample supply on the wood side and ample demand on the lumber side, and yet we shuttered an OSB mill in Fairfax.
    cut\'em

Because the COVID likely. Kinda like everything else. Like how Taco Bell was out of pink lemonade last night because of COVID

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Our builder told us last week that we are looking at a roughly 40% increase in our lumber package over numbers we just got about 2 months ago. Ouch.
    When you say lumber package are you talking total build including exteriors/trim/doors etc, or just framing package? 40% is still high even considering framing being a large expense of the project. Numbers are up that much on commodity items, but that doesnt mean the cost of overall package should rise 40%. Alot of items that arent SYP and strand based are flat right now. Might want to get some more info from the builder on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    So where is the squeeze? Ample supply on the wood side and ample demand on the lumber side, and yet we shuttered an OSB mill in Fairfax.
    COVID crushed those guys as far as labor went. Its a compound issue for sure. Low timber prices (which still doesnt make sense to me) plenty of lumber to be cut, no one to operate facilities at full capacity, mixed with record high demand from retailers is whats driving this train. Its not as bad as the huge price increase we went through a couple years ago (in my opinion) but how unpredictable its been this go around is the difficult part.

Not sure about the lumber but I can tell you that pulp wood usage is very low across most of the country. Most facilities are either not running or are running at very low capacities.

Signed up a very large project today, presented the owners with a total quote for all the treated lumber at todays price- they are cutting a check to pay for it all up front. Good thing I have plenty of storage space. Truckloads of treated lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Signed up a very large project today, presented the owners with a total quote for all the treated lumber at todays price- they are cutting a check to pay for it all up front. Good thing I have plenty of storage space. Truckloads of treated lumber.
    Bet that gave you a bit of relief.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My understanding is that the chemical to treat the lumber is what is in short supply.

Treated osb

monk monk sighting
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Well crap. I was looking to rip my deck off the house and rebuild this fall.

Maybe congress will give me some money to make up the difference.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Well crap. I was looking to rip my deck off the house and rebuild this fall.

Maybe congress will give me some money to make up the difference.
    Go with Ipe - Buy once cry once